Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Substrate for White Worms

A

achiinto

I am currently experimenting with substrate. I found that I have big white worms in a soil substrate (got those soil from earthworm container after I used up the earthworm I got from the baitshop.). I have very small white worm from a coconut fiber substrate. While I have a mix of big and small white worms in a peatmoss substrate. The soil substrate culture is in a bigger bin, does that yield bigger worms?

What was your previous experience with White worms and substrate?

I have my original culture crashed before and these three cultures are newly established using three different type of substrate.

A

achiinto

Do you think your white worms are small using that substrate? I haven't seen any big white worms in my coco substrate at all. Although the population seems to be increasing.

In comparison, the soil substrate are mainly big white worms. Unless, I have two different species from my original culture and I have separated the two species selectively at first by size to start the new cultures.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When the whiteworm population is booming, there will be mostly small ones. When the culture is reproducing more slowly, more of them will be large. I doubt that the substrate is the reason for the difference, but I could be wrong.

dano

Reaction score
I am currently experimenting with substrate. I found that I have big white worms in a soil substrate (got those soil from earthworm container after I used up the earthworm I got from the baitshop.). I have very small white worm from a coconut fiber substrate. While I have a mix of big and small white worms in a peatmoss substrate. The soil substrate culture is in a bigger bin, does that yield bigger worms?

What was your previous experience with White worms and substrate?

I have my original culture crashed before and these three cultures are newly established using three different type of substrate.

I have used coco in the past, and have also used majic garden peat, it comes prewet. You have to change some of the substrate every so often, temp between 55-65. I have my cultured in 2 foot rubbermaid containers since 1988.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!