Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Substrate Idea

TeeJay

Reaction score
Hi
Im changing the substrate in my 20 gallon tank from full sand to half sand and half river rocks.
Im having a hard time finding river rocks that are specifically for aquariums. And if i do find some they only sell them in 5 lb bags so i would have to buy multiple bags. I found that if i bought turtle river rocks that I would get way more for alot less. These are the turtle river rocks (pic below) and my main question was if using these river rocks were safe to use in an aquarium with an axolotl. Also if these rocks would have an effect on the water or anything
Thanks

Website for rocks: Imagitarium Turtle Terrain Tiger Stripe Rocks, 20 lbs. | Petco Store

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 263

auntiejude

Reaction score
They should be safe, but they will be a nightmare to clean. Bits of food, poop and crud will get stuck between and under the rocks, it might mess with your water quality.
Safe - yes, recommended - no.

TeeJay

Reaction score
Well my plan is to put a bottom layer of sand so that my plants can root into it but have a top thin layer of rocks. These river rocks are big enough to where I can just take them out when i clean and vacuum it off of the sand. I am very diligent about cleaning about every week so I dont really have to worry about it. My major worry was if the rocks themselves would harm my axolotl or affect the water. Thanks for clearing it up. But I would also want know if rocks that say they have been polished would be ok for the aquarium. They are still natural river rocks but say they have been polished. Are these ok?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!