Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Substrate (in CC amphib glossary)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Substrate - The material at the bottom of the tank. Most terrestrial tanks have a substrate of topsoil, leaf litter, coconut fiber, or a mixture of different types. Aquatic tanks can have a substrate consisting of sand, gravel, river rocks, slate, or some other non-soluble material, which must be catered to the species: appropriate size, natural appearance, etc.

MRIGUY

Reaction score
Yes, that is certainly better than mine. I was feeling minimalistic when I wrote that????

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trivial changes to Kaysie's def., I'd declare this done:

Substrate - The material at the bottom of the tank. Most terrestrial tanks have a substrate of damp paper towels, topsoil, leaf litter, coconut fiber, or a mixture of different materials. Aquatic tanks may have a substrate consisting of sand, gravel, river rocks, slate, or some other non-soluble material. A substrate should be chosen for the needs of the species and the keeper: appropriate size, natural appearance, compatibility with live foods, ease of cleaning, etc.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!