Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Substrate OK?

Wysper

Reaction score
Does anyone think this substrate is too big?

I don't think so, but they are my first babies so I want to be absolutely sure.

Attachments

• 47861d1472402299-meet-3-stooges-d3fa6a36-a6a9-4e9c-8444-accc22b74b68.png
    47861d1472402299-meet-3-stooges-d3fa6a36-a6a9-4e9c-8444-accc22b74b68.png
    539.5 KB · Views: 178

Felixtacat

Reaction score
The size could be a little better but I think you will be ok as long as you're careful, especially since your baby looks young. What can you can to minimize the chance of your axie ingesting any sand is to either feed them using some tongs or your fingers so that the food isn't touching the ground, or you can use a shallow bowl like a terra cotta pot tray as a food dish :D Good luck!

tipnatee

Reaction score
:blob: it's seems ok to me unless your baby is already 5 inches big then that would be kinda little rough but still it's ok

Wysper

Reaction score
Right now I'm using a plate turned upside down, so it forms a little "hill" with the center of the plate having the small edge that runs around it. And that's where I'm putting the food.

Getting a real food dish tomorrow though, so I can get my plate back. lol

And not 5", they are only about 2.5-3"

I'm already addicted. lol

tipnatee

Reaction score
I never really able to find the perfect food dish for my axie cause they're such a messy eater. It's like watching my cat go to town on his little box . :confused: If only I could find a dome feeder type , so far the closest thing that I could find is the fish bowl but axie have bad eye sight . So I ended up feeding them only live food . I would love to be able to feed the pellets sometime without having to worry about it flying everywhere :confused::confused:

Wysper

Reaction score
I'm really trying to avoid hand feeding, so I want them to be able to find it on their own. But it's so frustrating to watch them circle the entire plate, "sniffing" the edge as if they were tiny little doggies. I can tell them KNOW the food is there, but they just aren't able to find it.

The funniest part is when the swimmer of the bunch goes over the plate, stops, and drops down on top to eat. I swear it's like he's doing a top secret maneuver that his siblings can't know about.

tipnatee

Reaction score
Yep, And sometime they just sat on the bowl covered the food with their body and act like there isn't any food there so no one else would notice it. :D. Poker face little bastard.

Wysper

Reaction score
Oh yes. I have seen that happen too. And almost as soon as the other one turns around, he turns and takes a big gulp of blood worms! lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1