Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Substrate too big?

SaltyFishHipser

Reaction score
I'm kinda concerned with my axolotl, Pryralspite.

She seems slightly bloated, and there is a dark area in her lower stomach. I'm worried that it might be the substrate that's in her tank, which is also black.

The brand of sand is here

What do you guys think? Do you think that its safe? And if it is, what is with the black area on her stomach? Is it just her organs?

Also here are the photos of her, and the the sand, compared to a measuring tape

Attachments

• IMG_3497.jpg
    IMG_3497.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_3500.jpg
    IMG_3500.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3501 (2).jpg
    IMG_3501 (2).jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

Krispy

Reaction score
That sand looks courser than most sands people keep their axies on. However, she SHOULD be able to pass it if she did swallow some. Very fine sand/pool sand are better options.

Some other things to keep in mind are that your axie is female and will have a rounder body than a male. Also, females have eggs, so sometimes they are extra thick. If they do not breed with those eggs, they reabsorb them for later. One more thing, axolotls will have shading on their tummies from organs if they are a lighter morph, like yours.

Keep an eye on her, but I think she is okay.

SaltyFishHipser

Reaction score
Thanks for the input!
Do you have any specific brands in mind that might not be as coarse? I've been trying to find some, but I'm too afraid of getting something that is either toxic, too big, or too fine

Also, Pyro is very flattered by your compliment!:D

Attachments

• IMG_3506 (2).jpg
    IMG_3506 (2).jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 253

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Krispy has it all covered but I wanted to say how lovely that axolotl is!! Beautiful colouring!

Francisca

Reaction score
Some other things to keep in mind are that your axie is female and will have a rounder body than a male. Also, females have eggs, so sometimes they are extra thick. If they do not breed with those eggs, they reabsorb them for later. One more thing, axolotls will have shading on their tummies from organs if they are a lighter morph, like yours.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I'm kinda concerned with my axolotl, Pryralspite.

She seems slightly bloated, and there is a dark area in her lower stomach. I'm worried that it might be the substrate that's in her tank, which is also black.

The brand of sand is here

What do you guys think? Do you think that its safe? And if it is, what is with the black area on her stomach? Is it just her organs?

Also here are the photos of her, and the the sand, compared to a measuring tape
I’m a year late, but just cutting in to say that your axolotl is absolutely STUNNING!

MnGuy

Reaction score
Late to the game but people should only keep them and newts on play sand. I'm a newt and reptile keeper. I've read that some small-grained sands are created by blasting larger rock, and although they are still small their edges will cause them to lock together (i.e. compact) when ingested, while the edges of play sand allow them to pass through the digestive track as a singular granule.

I've kept snakes, lizards and newts on play sand with zero issue. (Reptiles kept on sand mixed with topsoil, moss, leaves, etc.)

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Late to the game but people should only keep them and newts on play sand. I'm a newt and reptile keeper. I've read that some small-grained sands are created by blasting larger rock, and although they are still small their edges will cause them to lock together (i.e. compact) when ingested, while the edges of play sand allow them to pass through the digestive track as a singular granule.

I've kept snakes, lizards and newts on play sand with zero issue. (Reptiles kept on sand mixed with topsoil, moss, leaves, etc.)
Ive read of people having issue with play sands dye in aquariums. I just use natural sand

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!