Substrate

Roney

Reaction score
Country
United States
What's a good substrate for a tiger salamanders enclousure

Chemical free top soil mixed with shredded coconut husk. Make sure to have a good depth, they are burrowing creatures.

Thank you so Eco earth and topsoil would be fine

Thank you so Eco earth and topsoil would be fine
Yes and the only other consideration when using coco-fiber block products such as Bed-A-Beast or Eco Earth would be to reconstitute the blocks with chemically dechloraminated/dechlorinated water or spring water.

I have great success in using these products alone or mixed with 'organic' topsoil. Depth of about 4inches is good with several hides.

I So I should wet the bricks first? And is 10 gallon tank suitable for 2 4" tiger salamanders

Yes, the compressed bricks or blocks must be 'reconstituted' with 3.5 to 4 liters of water (< 4 quarts). You need a moist but not wet substrate. I place the block in a 5 gallon bucket, reconstitute the block, wait for an hour and then use my hands to break up the substrate to a fine consistency.

A 10 gallon is fine for 2 small tigers. As they mature, it will be necessary to provide greater space. A 20 gallon long works well for 2 adults. If you can provide even more space than this - the better.

Thank you for the info Jan I will post pics next week when I get him

I went looking for topsoil to purchase but did not know which is suitable for tiger salamnders any specific brands?

When choosing a topsoil product - choose one that has no additives, only soil. Avoid products containing fertilizers, perlite, vermiculite, and peat moss. You want plain topsoil, not potting soil. Bags of topsoil can be found at garden centers and stores like Lowes and Home Depot and are less expensive than those containing additives.

Do you know if scotts topsoil is good.... And If I get two tigers each from different breeders can they be housed together. I have a 50L plastic sterliite bin lots of space.

Off the top of my head, I do not know if Scott's topsoil is suitable - many of Scott's soil products (as well as other 'brand' name soil products) contain soil amendments e.g., peat moss, manure, etc. I can only recommend to read the label and avoid soil with additives.

In that you live in NJ, your sources for tigers are probably not 'breeders' - tigers are extremely difficult to breed in captivity. Thus your source(s) of animals is more than likely wild-caught - which is in itself a whole different discussion. But in that that is probably the case, there is always the risk that each would carry different organisms, depending on where collected, that could be pathogenic to one the other. The safest advice would be to quarantine each animal for a few months then introduce - though still has risk.

The 50L bin - just assure that the surface area is at least 360 sq in - equivalent of a 30 x 12 inch for 2 adult salamanders.

Thank you for the advice I find it hard to locate organic topsoil from the stores in my area and I don't kno which is safe it seems like they all have something other then plain topsoil in them...

I checked the articles a long time ago that's how I herd about Eco earth... It says topsoil but no specific brands are referred to and that's were my dilemma occurs.. Any brand suggestions?

You do not have to utilize topsoil in the mix.

I would top it off with a layer of leaf litter and loam.

I might do that instead

Just make sure you freeze it before use.

I found out the hard way myself. Its not worth getting chiggers in your house just to save some spring tails.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back