Successful breeding of Ambystoma opacum.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
You can try small slugs, chopped bits of worm pieces, and even live blackworms on a small piece of papertowel. For shy individuals I will put their food in the tank about 10 minutes before I turn off the lights and just leave the food in there overnight.

huug

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Huug
Justin,

Those pics of your morphs make me tingle inside! :D
You got a group pic of them together?

anothernewtfan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Jeffries
What a great thread. With a happy ending too.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
Look at who laid again yesterday! :D

Attachments

• IMGP5444.JPG
    IMGP5444.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 1,705

huug

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Huug
Great news, Justin!!
You got the magic touch!:D

Good luck with raising the cb this year again, wonder if the larvae will grow to that big size again!

Logan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great Job. This is a wonderful species that I have found many times in the field and wanted to collect. I never have because I don't believe I should take anything from the wild I don't think I can breed. Now I may very well try to get some of these wonderful sallies to work with. I am even more excited at the prospect of getting cb specimens. Thanks for all your info.
Logan

Opacum

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Carlo
So awesome! My favorite salamander. Kudos, Justin, on a fantastic effort on your part. These are the reasons people get into the hobby/culture in the first place. Obviously keep us posted! :cool:

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Chris Michaels
Just a quick question, Justin - what temperature did your adults get down to in the Winter?

C

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
The lowest temperature I noted was 2.2'C but for the most part it stayed around 3-4'C.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Chris Michaels
Thanks. How important do you think winter cooling is for this species, and could it be done in a fridge?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
Honestly, I think it is a must and could easily be done in the fridge.

Blueflip2

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey,are you going to try and breed them this year again?:cool:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
Absolutely! I've been lucky enough that they've bred the last 2 years and I'm not about to stop now. :D

fabri

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi Justin!! Congratulations for your results with a such great species.
Sorry if I'm invading your thread but I think that here it's the place where I can get the right answers about my problems.
It's two years that I'm thinking to buy two couples of A. opacum, but everytime that I decide to take them suddendly I change my mind. I think that they are wonderfull animals, but what scares me it's their breeding. I just want animals that I can breed and they looks to me too hard because of the Coolidge effect. So I want to ask you some questions:
Is the Coolidge effect a limit also for captive breed animals? Did you separate males and females before of the breading season? Are they so hard as people says or I can hazard buying them?

Thanks to everybody guys and sorry for my poor english.

tom

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi there!
I have the same problem as Fabri, but I decided to acquire two pairs of opacum this year. So my questions are mostly the same: Will they breed now, in late November? Do I have to seperate males and females during the winter? When do I have to take them out of hibernation? Who can answer all of these newbie question?
Greetings
Tom

P.S.: And I'm sorry to hijack this thread, too

MarioR

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello Tom,

have a look at my homepage there's an article about breeding A. opcaum in german: Ambystomatidae - Die Welt der amphiben Maulwürfe

Just keep them as natural as possible when it comes to temperature, day and night cycle, autumn rainfalls,...
Last year three different german keepers bred them successfully.

Greetings,
Mario

tom

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi there!
You won't believe it, one of my females has laid roundabout 50 eggs last night and now I'm quite nervous. It's the first time I have the chance to breed an Ambystoma species!
Cheers!
lucky Tom

P.S.: Thanx Mario, I'm going to read your article right now and with special enthusiasm!

methodik

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Jakob
Hi Tom,

congratulations! Breedings of Ambystomids in germany still aren't many, nice success...if you got too many eggs: I would take some (helpful me, lol).

Keep us updated.

Greetings, Jakob

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • lvlyvoa:
    hey thank you all so much for your help!! i shouldn't have been so careless, but I love my axie very much and her behaviour has improved as I have started a tank cycle and gotten some good food for her
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    @lvlyvoa, good to hear, np. They love nightcrawlers and worms if you have access to them, they're the healthiest thing they can eat since they're a complete prey
    +1
    Unlike
  • BrodieBAxolotls:
    hey, does anyone have any brine shrimp eggs??
    +1
    Unlike
  • liz.:
    i do!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    My axolotls were doing fine until the cycle int heir tank crashed. I currently have them tubbed and they wont stop shedding their slime coat, and my golden albino looks a little red, and his gills dont look too good. Theyre both flaoting and im keeping the tub at 18 degrees celsius and doing 100% water changes everyday, any help on anythingelse? can anyone help?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger I would try to double up on Prime to combat the slime coat shed when doing the 100% water changes. Also, if it's bad, might want to consider a tea bath as a preventive measure.
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    I just wrote this on the post ^
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Haha, great minds, right?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    They sure do 😄!
    +2
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    @AkemiYousei thanks so much. Will do. I have also given them a tea bath before, seems to work their gills are looking so much healthier, my golden albino is swimming around frantically trying to jump out, should i be worried? my wild type is fine
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Might be the stress, or the shedding bothering it
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Make sure s/he can't jump out, and maybe keep her in a undisturbed, darkened place for a bit. See if that calms the goldie.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KOsika has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    I woke up to my golden axolotl covered complete white. what do i do
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    Just found out, hes dead. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • mcapanema:
    :'(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger, Oh no! Sorry to hear. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxelTheAxolotl123:
    my axolotl has white balls on its gills and the feathers have shrunk
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jasper2021:
    We have an axolotl called Jasper who is approx 3 years old. He was being attacked by his companion so we separated them. He has healed his wounds now but has got very thin. his lips have turned black. he was just looking still and dead at times but ears moved so we knew he was still alive. Hold earthworms right in front of him which after some time he will take you think good he is eating but then it pops straight out again. At the moment he is in the fridge. Not sure what else to do if he can't or won't eat !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    Hi Jasper 2021,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    I am new to axolotls myself and one thing I learnt was that earth worms when in distress give off an awful taste - have you tried live river shrimp? Mine really like these and are always happy to 'bite' - I also give them live crickets and pellets which are really pungeant in smell and they always take these - even wait at the glass for them! So sorry to hear he was being attacked by his companion!
    +1
    Unlike
    Wyn1993: I am new to axolotls myself and one thing I learnt was that earth worms when in distress give... +1