Suddenly aquired axolotls. Need help with setup

rossmon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was not intending to get the axolotls yet, but came upon them at a convention, and now have 2. I am now needing a quick setup. Right now, they are in 6 in high, and about 4 inch diameter plastic containers that they came in. they are probably about 2 inches each.
Anyway, the lady who sold them to me said i could keep them in there or put them in individual fishbowls, using reverse-osmosis water, with nothing else, no gravel or anything. I don't really want to do that, but can if i need to. I have a 10 gallon aquarium, that I can get a divider for if need be, or I can get another 10 gallon. I've never had fish, so I have no gravel or sand or filter or anything. I want to give the axolotls a good setup. I also have a 29 gallon that I can move them to in about a year, when they are bigger. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

That 10 gal sounds fine for now until they grow too big, aslong as you provide hides for them
caves or pvc piping, cant help you on the divider sorry.

Use sand as a substrate or no substrate, with sand make sure you get suitable sand for your aquarium, and wash it thoroughly.

Good link on tank setup - Axolotl Sanctuary

Plants are always nice, Java fern seems to be popular but you could always have plastic plants.

Small filters with very slow flow are good, axies dont like flow :)

anything else do some good hard reading on

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

or also on

Axolotl Sanctuary

So go ahead and get the tank divider? Also, is using reverse osmosis water enough to go ahead and put them in, without allowing for the curing process?

I wouldn't use the reverse osmosis water. Get some good dechlorinator and just dechlorinate the tapwater, or let the tapwater sit out to dissipate the chlorine. Anyone more experienced, please pipe in!

Oh! I forgot. If they're around the same size, you may not need a divider. Usually if there's a big size difference, you'll see the nipping and picking on, but if they're the same size, and each have their own hides and plenty of plants and visual barriers, they should behave. :rolleyes: A good rule of thumb is two hides per axi, so they have a place to retreat to if they feel grumpy.

They are between 2 and 3 inches, 1 is probably less than half an inch bigger than the other. I can use a tank divider until they're about 5 inches if I need to. Just went and picked up a small filter and some freshwater sand. Also some water conditioner.

Just got delayed. Was cleaning the 10-gallon, which used to house snakes, and had it full of hot water, soaking in the bathtub. Anyway, heard a creak, so I went to dump it, and cut my finger pretty decent. Anyway, not sure if/where it's broken, so waiting. I'm going to go back to repti-con tomorrow, one of the guys there was selling 10-gallon aquariums for $10 each. I'm going to pick up one of those.

Well, as was already mentioned if they are very close in size and have adequate space hides and plants and ofc kept well fed they shouldnt be too much hassle, However if you feel it necessary to use a divider do so.

sorry to hear you cut your finger!

Keep us updated on the tank setup

axies are odd creatures sometimes as above, hides are appreciated.

a 10 gallon will be fine... for about 5 months. they grow very fast when they are young. floor space is more important as they are not big swimmers and prefer to waddle about on the bottom and they don't move straight up and down as a helicopter would, so keeping this in mind, a longer tank with more floor space is best suited for axies than a tank that is deep.

I assume you plan on keeping them well into adulthood, be aware that axies can grow upto 30cm long, and that you'll need a minimum of 15 gallons of water for each adult axie. so at minimum you'll need a 30 gallon long tank sooner than you think.

Just got back from wal-mart. I got a new 10 gallon tank, that came with hood, light and filter. Stopped at petsmart, and got a tank divider, and black freshwater sand. Have it all set up, with a water conditioner in. It has been 'curing' now for about an hour and a half, just waiting for awhile before I put them in. Probably going to head back to wal-mart for some more plants, and to try to find some hides.

Sounds awesome!

Terrocotta plant pots make good hides,

Im sure wal-mart has plenty available,

Also PVC piping is a good cheap hide, aswell as the pet store hides look nice too but are more expensive :)

You could always make your own hides using rocks etc,

upload some pics! :D

God keeping axi's in fish bowls... who was that lady kidding!

If your wanting to keep 2 you'll be needing at least a 3 foot tank. Might as well get it now to save yourself the trouble of having to go through the process again later (I did this... silly me :(). Anyways you'll defiantly be needing a filter for your tank.

Have you considered cycling the tank? Also I would make sure the filter is put in a position that minimizes the risk of one of them getting too close and injured, because they are so small.

I'm also new to keeping axolotls, it's so much fun looking after them, hope it goes well

larn

I agree with Iarn... cycling is important... but you can cycle with your axi's in their home if your dilligent :D

That's what I'm doing. I filled the tank, and let it run for a few hours, with 5ml of water conditioner to remove the chloramines and chlorine. Then I added them. What else do i need to be diligently doing to continue cycling. Also researching now on how to cool the water (about 72 right now)

Hi Rossman

Read about the nitrogen cycle and in particular the fishless cycle which i believe is a much more humane way of preparing your tank before you put in your animals. it's not just letting your filter run for a few hours, it's process which takes weeks to establish a bacteria work force that will eat up the ammonia and nitrites. Your tank will eventaully cycle with the axolotls in there, but you have to be careful.

there's loads of info out there if you're interested

just wondering , you said you got them at repticon? how much did you pay for them ?

i am looking forward to the Houston repticon, i have never been to a repticon i have how ever been to reptile swaps....

Got a great deal, I believe it was 60 for a leucistic and a GFP leucistic

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back