Question: Suitable size tank for an Axie?

For about the same price you can get a 3ft clearseal basic tank. ( have found the 3fts for about £50) they don't come with a hood or anything else, but if you have a filter and stuff already it's just a transfer job.
Bigger and cheaper. Win win. :D

£55 for 3ft £70 for 4ft pets at home price

Last edited:
I've never understood why people would want to buy a small tank and then upgrade. Why not just buy an adequately-sized adult tank, and not waste your money on a small tank that is only going to be useful for a couple of months at most?

I've never understood why people would want to buy a small tank and then upgrade. Why not just buy an adequately-sized adult tank, and not waste your money on a small tank that is only going to be useful for a couple of months at most?

I totally agree, but if you do buy a temporary tank you can allways put some other newts in it! :D

*want more newts* *want more newts* *want more newts*

I agree - and depending on your set-up it can be a huge pain to upgrade a tank and bring everything over.

If I had known that that my first tank was going to be too small for my liking, I would have just gone bigger in the first place.

As for tank size, I have a 75 litre long tank (20 long, in gallons) and I would go for that over a 54 litre/15 gallon. Just make sure the tank you select is a "long" - you want the floorspace more than height.

I started off with a 38 before going to a 75, because I found the 38 was a little too small for my liking.

and sorry, I'm not sure what standard tank dimensions are in litres so I'm just converting. :s

And don't buy one with a hood unless you need/want one. You can get a basic tank top for cheaper. I love my live plants, though (and they provide a lot of shade for the axolotl and she likes climbing in them).

Tank maths :p
"oh I need more axolotls, that'll mean i'll have to buy a bigger tank :3 shame that"

It does make for a good quarantine tank after you upgrade, but I am with you 'upgrading' shouldn't really be needed - unless you have a case of Axolotl maths. :|

Yes as others have mentioned look for a basic long tank without a hood, you can make yourself a nice net/breathable lid if you need one. It'll be cheeper and you don't want the hood anyway - they only serve to raise your tank temp.

Last edited:

I usually start out with a smaller tank because I happen to have a ton of smaller tanks lying around in storage. Then I upgrade when I actually need a larger tank. :)

If you've got them, fantastic! I always have a variety of tanks and tubs and whatnot laying around. But I think it's just silly to buy a small tank, then go buy a big tank. Further, it's so much more economical (but less aesthetic) to keep larvae and juveniles in tupperware.

Is a 2 and half foot long tank big enough for two adult axxies?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back