Super-sized C.pyrrhogaster

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
One of my C.pyrrhogaster is the longest I've ever seen at almost 15cm.

3491.jpg

3492.jpg

Several reference books I've checked say C.p can get as long as 12cm (though one says 13cm).

It's especially interesting to me as this one is of southwestern "Hiroshima race" whose members are generally smaller than the northeastern races. It really stands out among the others in its group from Kagawa Prefecture (Shikoku Island).

3493.jpg

3494.jpg

An attractive male from within the same group:

3498.jpg

I once saw one that I estimate at around 15-18 cm at the National Aquarium in Washington DC. Course, it was labeled as taricha torosa but was easily distinguishable. Wish I could've gotten a pic....

~Aaron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back