Survey of live food use - for conservation research

1. Which invertebrates do you culture to feed to aquatic amphibians?
Compost earthworm, daphnia, walter worm

2. Which invertebrates do you culture to feed to terrestrial amphibians?
Compost earthworm, woodlice (Oniscus asellus), Greater waxworm, Dubia cockroach (Blaptica dubia)

3. What do you use to feed your cultures of each species listed above as a basic food?
Compost earthworm: kitchen waste,
daphnia: green water (aquarium waste),
walter worm: ready break + glycerine,
woodlice: woodmulch+leaf liter
Greater waxworm: ready break + glycerine
Dubia cockroach: dry dogfood + fresh veg

4. Do you gut load any of the above, and if so, which nutrients do you gut-load (i.e. calcium, carotenoids, vitamins etc.) and what foods do you gut-load with?
No, but thinking of gutloading cricket for my Nophto efts....

edit: Just noticed how out of date this thread is, not sure it is of any use to carry on...

Last edited:
1. Which invertebrates do you culture to feed to aquatic amphibians? currently I have semiaquatic but I run to the local pet store and they clean their tanks out of unwanted snails which I then use
2. Which invertebrates do you culture to feed to terrestrial amphibians? currently I stock with store bought meal worms. I feed them carrots and or celery. They live in corn meal, the bran that they are shipped in, and rolled oats. I usually can keep the colony going for about 6 months until I have to start over.
3. What do you use to feed your cultures of each species listed above as a basic food? I feed my meal worms carrots and celery when I have it.
4. Do you gut load any of the above, and if so, which nutrients do you gut-load? Well since the meal worms snack on carrots whenever I would consider them gut-loaded. My leopard gecko appreciated the added carotene for her color.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back