Swelling by upper lip

MavisTheAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mavis has, at some point today, developed a blister like swelling by his upper lip. Appetite is great, he didn't flinch at all when I gently pressed it (he is very tame and calm) but I don't like any lumps or bumps of course, so am hoping someone has seen this and knows what it is likely to be. He has a fake rock tunnel, but every single edge is well filed. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Oh, he is 5.

IMG_20200830_221636.jpg

Is no one able to even try and help? 52 views but not even a suggestion ? :cry:
If u look up amphibian vets near me, an online vet should pop up on just answer.com. I wish I could help, I honestly don’t how to and don’t want to say something that could harm your lotl. As long as eat it may go away on its own. I’m sure it’s nothing super serious, you would most likely see behavior changes.

Last edited:
Is no one able to even try and help? 52 views but not even a suggestion ? :cry:
Erythromycin has also helped people, if you can get it, it sounds like it’s really helped some people. You may need to get it prescribed though, unless you can find it somewhere else

If u look up amphibian vets near me, an online vet should pop up on just answer.com. I wish I could help, I honestly don’t how to and don’t want to say something that could harm your lotl. As long as eat it may go away on its own. I’m sure it’s nothing super serious, you would most likely see behavior changes.
Thank you, I appreciate even an acknowledgement, means everything when you are worried. I'd given up, but, as it happens, it has gone away by itself. I'll be keeping an eye on it though1

Erythromycin has also helped people, if you can get it, it sounds like it’s really helped some people. You may need to get it prescribed though, unless you can find it somewhere else
Thanks for that, I'll keep a note of that medication. Thankfully, it has gone away, but the medication suggestion is very useful to make note of :)

@MavisTheAxolotl

Hey, I am just seeing this and I want to apologize for the little response you got and I want to thank @Binditheaxolotl for helping you.

As for the swollen lip, my axolotl actually has two "growths" on her face, one on her lower chin and one on the side of her face. One day she got injured when she was little, when she lived at my friend's house. We don't know what happened, we just saw her swimming around with a bloody booboo and pulled her out for a sec to look at it. It has left those pumps on her face, they're scars. Nothing else is wrong with her. That is what I think your axolotl has on his upper lip. I wouldn't be SUPER worried about it but do keep an eye on it, the only thing I can think of is eating difficulties.

Axolotls kinda have like a little row of pathetic teeth on the bottom of their lip, like only on the bottom jaw. When they yawn you can see them, little line of super fine black "teeth like things." Whatever injured my axolotl when she was little caused her to lose a portion of her teeth but she eats PERFECTLY fine. It hasn't diminished her quality of life.

And I want to ask you, how are you? I know stressing over an axolotl hurts so much so please, how are you? How is Mavis?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back