Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Swimming in circles and upside down

JaSouthwick

Reaction score
I’ve had Coral for just under a year. She has one tank mate whom ive had for a year and she is thriving and from the same gene pool. After a lot of research my gut is saying the problem is that my tank water got too warm and I waited too long to quartine her. I am posting some pictures of what has been going on with her over the last 3 weeks. She was looking like she was getting better last week but the last 2 days she has been floating on her side and upside down. I’ve been doing 100% water changes for her and the lowered water temp has seemed to help her. She has been eating fine and pooping fine but I’m still very concerned that I am going to lose her. I’m new to Axolotls. Can you all help me please. It’s a little embarrassing but I just don’t want to lose her or make the wrong call here.
It all started when she got what looked like an air bubble on the top of her head and then it quickly turned into almost a zit type thing which within days worked its way out of her head as you can see. She wasn’t eating well for that week and I should have quartined her then but I didn’t and that’s where I went wrong I’m sure but she started to eat and seemed to be acting more like herself other then not being able to keep her balance. Her tail kept floating up so I thought she was just impacted but then I saw she had a big bowel movement and assumed she was just recovering. I did a 75% water change of the tank and went about my week.
I don’t have a spare tank so I have been using a large cooler with the lid off in the coldest room in my house to help make sure she has been staying cool as I can’t seem to get my main tank water to stay under 72 degrees yet. (It’s been a super hot week) but I know it isn’t cool enough yet for them as it should be under 70 degrees at least. Which if I’m not mistaken is most likely how she got sick in the first place.

Any advice is appreciated advice. My kids and I are really upset and trying not to lose her over my mistakes.Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• F78FFACE-BE72-47D5-866F-D7F5389236CF.jpeg
    F78FFACE-BE72-47D5-866F-D7F5389236CF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,502
  • 7C37CE80-9171-4EA7-BF56-C5DAAA67DEBF.jpeg
    7C37CE80-9171-4EA7-BF56-C5DAAA67DEBF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 680
  • 7168E5B4-725C-41D5-9D4A-4B10334335D6.jpeg
    7168E5B4-725C-41D5-9D4A-4B10334335D6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 510
  • EF4764FA-4871-4EA3-99EF-8D527A234ADB.jpeg
    EF4764FA-4871-4EA3-99EF-8D527A234ADB.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,824
  • D13D27B4-FABB-4413-81B7-8D563DAB498B.jpeg
    D13D27B4-FABB-4413-81B7-8D563DAB498B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 388
  • 4F5D84A7-84A3-490C-BB77-1EDFB31BE6F2.jpeg
    4F5D84A7-84A3-490C-BB77-1EDFB31BE6F2.jpeg
    510.5 KB · Views: 311
  • B1C27C56-572F-459B-995C-B6883BD4B2CC.jpeg
    B1C27C56-572F-459B-995C-B6883BD4B2CC.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 297
  • 7F63AB44-6EE8-48CE-9840-D3EE6D2DE5A5.jpeg
    7F63AB44-6EE8-48CE-9840-D3EE6D2DE5A5.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:

musicskip

Reaction score
same problems here.... So I hope to get some answers as well. Our Axolotl suddenly lost control in swimming. a few weeks ago. Did not eat and had a lump on his head. We separated him from his mother and gradually he started eating again and acting normal. But it started all over again. No lump this time , but swimming upside down, sideways and it seems he has lost control in swimming and floating ability. Eats normal......but I am wondering what we do wrong......

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
How old? How big?
What does he/she eat? what substrate?

same problems here.... So I hope to get some answers as well. Our Axolotl suddenly lost control in swimming. a few weeks ago. Did not eat and had a lump on his head. We separated him from his mother and gradually he started eating again and acting normal. But it started all over again. No lump this time , but swimming upside down, sideways and it seems he has lost control in swimming and floating ability. Eats normal......but I am wondering what we do wrong......

musicskip

Reaction score
my daughter got it as a baby from school last september, so he/she is 10 months old. Approx. 25-30 cm long and a lot fatter than her mother. She gets special perles for Axolotls and occasionally earthworms
IMG_20200723_085226.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200723_085232.jpg
    IMG_20200723_085232.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 385

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
I would tub the axolotl asap with just enough water to cover the body and allow it to stay upright

Can you post a picture of the tank?

What are your water parameters
temp
pH
High range pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Do you add any Salts, johns, holtfreters?

musicskip

Reaction score
right now he is seprated from the other axolotl because I did not know if he was contagious. So it is just a big plastic container. All I do is keep the temperature below 20 degrees Celsius. All the at other things you mention i do not know much about….
And how do I keep it upright, .........

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Ok

Change the water in the tub daily using Seachem Prime to condition the water.
Only put enough water to cover the axolotl.

Is there substrate in the tank?

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
you really need the water to be under 68 or they get stressed and their immune systems get compromised. I would float frozen water bottles ( as many as you need to get the temperature down, even four) and swap out for fresh ones when those melt. I would say that she was very stressed about the temperature, causing her to get sick. From what, I can’t tell. I would follow what Calgary said, and maybe add the correct amount of Furan2 into the tub for how many gallons you got. I can’t tell what it has, but Furan2 or Methylene blue is my go to for most sicknesses. Or you could do a tea bath, black tea or green tea works. Black tea is better, but green tea still has tannins. I would recommend using api stress coat instead of Seachem Prime, because its used to reduce stress. However each work great.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
NOOOO

Stresscoat is toxic!!

Do not treat with furan 2 or meth blue or tea baths none of that will work or help right now.

Prime is the best water conditioner for so many reasons - best being no aloe!

you really need the water to be under 68 or they get stressed and their immune systems get compromised. I would float frozen water bottles ( as many as you need to get the temperature down, even four) and swap out for fresh ones when those melt. I would say that she was very stressed about the temperature, causing her to get sick. From what, I can’t tell. I would follow what Calgary said, and maybe add the correct amount of Furan2 into the tub for how many gallons you got. I can’t tell what it has, but Furan2 or Methylene blue is my go to for most sicknesses. Or you could do a tea bath, black tea or green tea works. Black tea is better, but green tea still has tannins. I would recommend using api stress coat instead of Seachem Prime, because its used to reduce stress. However each work great.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
No -axolotls rarely get tumors of any kind
That’s what I thought, because axolotls are immune to most cancer and such. I’ve personally used stress coat, and never had any problems. Dosage is key I’ve read, to much is harmful. However I will plan to switch over from stress coat into Seachem Prime after I finish my bottle

musicskip

Reaction score
Ok

Change the water in the tub daily using Seachem Prime to condition the water.
Only put enough water to cover the axolotl.

Is there substrate in the tank?
got the water tested , that is Ok. it is pribably some genetic defact or something wrong with his swim bladder

musicskip

Reaction score
what do you mean by a tea bath???

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I don’t think it will help, but it doesn’t do any harm. Boil tea bags, either green tea or black tea, and take the tea bags out after 15 minutes. Then wait for the water to cool, you can add an ice pack or frozen water bottle after it’s cooled a little, then pour into a tub and soak your lotl in there. Don’t forget to dechlorinate your water before u put the tea bags in!

Chardog03

Reaction score
I’ve had Coral for just under a year. She has one tank mate whom ive had for a year and she is thriving and from the same gene pool. After a lot of research my gut is saying the problem is that my tank water got too warm and I waited too long to quartine her. I am posting some pictures of what has been going on with her over the last 3 weeks. She was looking like she was getting better last week but the last 2 days she has been floating on her side and upside down. I’ve been doing 100% water changes for her and the lowered water temp has seemed to help her. She has been eating fine and pooping fine but I’m still very concerned that I am going to lose her. I’m new to Axolotls. Can you all help me please. It’s a little embarrassing but I just don’t want to lose her or make the wrong call here.
It all started when she got what looked like an air bubble on the top of her head and then it quickly turned into almost a zit type thing which within days worked its way out of her head as you can see. She wasn’t eating well for that week and I should have quartined her then but I didn’t and that’s where I went wrong I’m sure but she started to eat and seemed to be acting more like herself other then not being able to keep her balance. Her tail kept floating up so I thought she was just impacted but then I saw she had a big bowel movement and assumed she was just recovering. I did a 75% water change of the tank and went about my week.
I don’t have a spare tank so I have been using a large cooler with the lid off in the coldest room in my house to help make sure she has been staying cool as I can’t seem to get my main tank water to stay under 72 degrees yet. (It’s been a super hot week) but I know it isn’t cool enough yet for them as it should be under 70 degrees at least. Which if I’m not mistaken is most likely how she got sick in the first place.

Any advice is appreciated advice. My kids and I are really upset and trying not to lose her over my mistakes.Thank you in advance.
Honestly to me that looks like a tumor, I would take her into an exotic vet asap!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1