Swimmy Man

Tam1977

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, just wondered if someone could help or know what could be wrong. It has been about 3 weeks of this behavior but he seems to swim non stop for like 2 or 3 days then you might have a day or so in between where he just lays there. We have checked water parameters and have done water changes. When I tested last night the ammonia was way be .25, no nitrites and the nitrates were around 20. Just recently, when I go to feed him his earthworm he can only eat a very little piece of 1 and then the other keeps coming out of his mouth. He tries to eat it but I don't think he can and then last night he wouldn't even attempt again on the bigger one. The little one came back out too but he was able to suck it back in and keep it down. I fed him blood worms the night before and he only ate like maybe 1/2 of what we put in there and this guy use to be a ferocious eater. I am getting really nervous and not sure what to do at this point. My husband thinks he is chasing his reflection in the aquarium because he is coming into maturity but not sure if that is really even a thing. His tank always stays between 60 and 66 degrees but mostly between 65 and 66 degrees. He is not quite a year old yet but getting right there. He is one next month. I have some videos, the first one is him being normal and the others are the swimming. I am so nervous because I don't know how to fix him. He has had bowel movements but not tons. It has been like 3 days since he used it. Not sure if that is significant or not. This is like my kid and I just want him to be ok. I feel like he has also lost some weight so I have a pic also attached of when I know he was doing good. Any advise would be great. Thank you!! Pic of Scooter.jpg

I think the swimming is normal, just him being active, and it's possible he's chasing his reflection and just being curious (mine chases his from time to time too).
the feeding thing does seem a bit odd though. How often do you feed him? I'm wondering if maybe he's not eating because he's just not hungry.

It's possible there's some agitation from ammonia levels. Amphibians breathe through their skin so any faulty problem, even just barely any ammonia, could cause agitation. Leaving them uncomfortable with the water to an extent they try and escape or swim to the surface a lot hoping to get out of it. Try to bring ammonia down to zero.

I think the swimming is normal, just him being active, and it's possible he's chasing his reflection and just being curious (mine chases his from time to time too).
the feeding thing does seem a bit odd though. How often do you feed him? I'm wondering if maybe he's not eating because he's just not hungry.
Hey, thank you for your response. Makes me feel so much better about it. He seems to have calm down a bit now. I fed him last night and cut up the worm and he ate 2 small parts of it finally and it seemed fine this time (knock on wood). I feed him every 2 to 3 days now that he is older and sometimes we may give him a couple pebbles on the days in between but not all the time. My husband kept telling me he thought he was just going through a phase but I just worry about him. He is like my baby, I worry about just as much as my son lol and he is my first so I am not sure about some things.
Thank you again,
Tamara

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back