T. granulosa, eggbound or bloat?

J

joan

My females have been carrying eggs for some time (fat in the abdomen, nowhere else). The male is too small to mate (or he hasn't figured it out yet. He can't get his legs around their belly).

Recently, 2 of the 3 females have started getting puffy closer toward the chest. It's very slight. I know it's not unheard of for amphibians to get egg bound, but I'm worried about bloat. Any preliminary thoughts? I'll post a pic up tomorrow.

My female T Granulosa is the exact same way and I was thinking the same thing you are. I am still unsure. I will post a picture on here also if you don't mind.

Well, my big girl went to the vet, had some xrays, and he thinks it's air in the abdomen, caused by gastroenteritis. She's now on antibiotics and anti-protozoal medication. Lets hope she pulls through.

Vet visit: $40
Xrays: $60
Medication: $60
Having your newt throw up on the vet: Priceless

She surely doesn't like getting her shots, but she kept her oral medication down pretty well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back