Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. granulosa habitat?

erik3333

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm curious what the habitat of taricha granulosa looks like. Both above and under water. Can you show me some pics?

sde

Reaction score
Gold-Creek-Pond-2.jpg

Marsh-Sized-Digi1.jpg

There.

Pictures of the forest and ponds/marshes.

So basically there is a lot of moss, a lot of trees, a lot of undergrowth, and a lot of green. Wet in the fall and spring, moist or dry in the summer, and cold and wet in the winter.
The ponds and such are clear, heavily planted usually, and frequent. With lots of other wildlife ( beavers, otters, waterfowl, fish, herons etc. ).

I live in the pacific northwest ( in T. granulosa ) habitat, and that's pretty much it. Wet, green, thick with vegetation, and cool.

I hope this helps Erik! -Seth

Last edited by a moderator:

erik3333

Reaction score
Wow amazing, great photo's. Any ideas what kind of plants grow in the ponds? Elodea?

sde

Reaction score
Sorry, a few of the photos had to be removed, it was my fault. Lets try it again :happy:

Forest-Park.jpg

http://blog.pacificnorthwestphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Forest-Park.jpg URL

Jess_Hunter_Photography-30.jpg

http://www.woodsyweddings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Jess_Hunter_Photography-30.jpg URL

F89-838721.jpg

http://www.agefotostock.com/previewimage/bajaage/fe5188732f3b4af78170feba38c0999e/F89-838721.jpg URL
I think i did that right?

Plants that are in the ponds, hmm, well, i don't really know very many, but here's the ones i do know and pictures of the ones i have in my tank which are from T. granulosa breeding habitat.

TONS of Skunk cabbage, some Elodea, and lots of mystery plants, but here's a picture of one of the mystery plants that DOMINATE the marsh. They are everywhere!

The attached pictures are by me :D

Attachments

• P1140254.jpg
    P1140254.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 354
  • P1140256.jpg
    P1140256.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 348
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1