T. granulosa mating

E

ester

My male has finally taken an interest (amplexing) in the most promising female (my opinion). She's extremely big, which I hope indicates eggs. Posing wasn't really on their mind..
75500.jpg

Congrats!!

Now it's a race between which one of us gets eggs first?

I haven't cycled mine, so I doubt it will be this year.

I took my taricha outside again, fearing the indoor temp of 15C would be too warm to get them to breed. My male is all slimy and smooth, but has not developed black toe tips for example.
The outdoor water is cold enough to make my fingers tingle after a few moments in it, but they seem active and hungry enough. Still no change to the male's toe tips.

Mine are mating again as we speak.

Now what can I do to either stimulate the poor girl into laying, or keep the male off her back?

I'm happy, my male is finally developing the dark toe-tips on front and hind limbs.

A few pictures of my male and the female I expect most of.
First the male, does he have to develop more than just black toe tips?
76295.jpg

76296.jpg

Here a closeup of the male vent
76297.jpg

And the female vent
76298.jpg

I don't have any advice, but your animals look great. Keep us posted, and good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back