Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. kweichowensis breeding.

Joost

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMGP4700.JPG
    IMGP4700.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 554
  • IMGP4702.JPG
    IMGP4702.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 464
  • IMGP4809.JPG
    IMGP4809.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 419
  • IMGP4811.JPG
    IMGP4811.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 390

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Brilliant!!!
Thank you for posting this, Joost.
Can´t wait to see pictures of the many juveniles!

Last edited:

NewtZoo

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the videos. That is amazing. I bet you are one happy daddy!!:D

NewtZoo

Reaction score
Whats the secret Joost? Do you keep them aquatic all year round or did you move them to an aquatic set up from a terrestrial? Congratulations!!!

freves

Reaction score
Congratulations! It is my hope that CB animals will eventually replace most of the imports with this species.
Chip

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Brilliant. Its great news that breedings of this species are becoming more widespread and reliable. Fingers crossed CB animals replace WC before wild populations are too much damaged.

Chris

andrew

Reaction score
Just popped in to say congratulations....

I'd also like to point out that these are now F2 cb!

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Brilliant. Its great news that breedings of this species are becoming more widespread and reliable. Fingers crossed CB animals replace WC before wild populations are too much damaged.

Chris

Agreed! There seems to be a wave of wild caught kweichows making their rounds through the US pet trade at the moment; some of the pictures I've seen sadden the heart at how poor a condition some of them are in. :(

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Amazing! I'm intrigued and very nosey at the same time. How was breeding accomplished? Was there a cooling period? Are you keeping them aquatically or did you introduce them into a watered tank? If you don't mind could you share a little bit Joost, if not in great detail just a outline of what you did would be a great help. Congratulations!

Joost

Reaction score
Maybe it's just luck for me breeding them. I'll describe what I've done:

November 26: I received 2 males from Andy (cb 2008, 11,5 and 12,5 cm long). They were put in a plastic vivarium with some peat, which was almost dry. Only a little bowl with 2-3 cm. of water was put in it. Temperature around 15°C.

April 28: I received a female from Andy (cb 2007). She was put in the same kind of set up, seperate from the males (quarantine process).

May 21: The males needed a tank refreshing actually, and I thought they could live together after a few weeks. They looked all very healthy though. As soon the males noticed the female, they became wild, and I saw an amplexus between the two males on land. Set up wasn't changed, so I wanted asap an other set up with a bigger water area. They moved to a 60 cm. aquarium with a layer of gravel. The whole background was covered with stones, which came out of the water. Javamoss and other species of moss were put on top of it. Water depth is 13 cm.
The males became aquatic immediatly, the female was more hanging under the water surface. One male is constantly following the female. Temp. around 20-21°C.

June 5: The first eggs.

June 10: All eggs collected (around 40) and placed in another tank, on a stone, covered with javamoss, just sticking out of the water. Temp. around 23-24°C.

June 12: Second breeding behaviour.

June 13: First hatchling.

June 21: A few larvau died. Don't know why, and how much I've left. The others are doing very well. The strongest will survive I think.

June 24: Again breeding behaviour.

July 6: Eggs again.

So, now it's up to date. Also you can visit the Dutch topic, where it's all described including pics.

T. kweichowensis

freves

Reaction score
I would be curious to learn what factors may determine the number of eggs produced. I only had around 25 eggs this spring however out of those I now have 19 juveniles. Several years back exactly 100 eggs were laid and 66 juveniles were eventually produced. I cannot remember right off hand how many eggs actually hatched, etc.
Chip

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Thanks Joost. I'm taking into consideration what I just read. hopefully I can show my success story some day. Keep us followers updated please!

Joost

Reaction score
Little update pics. 14 weeks old larvae, and around 5 cm long.

Attachments

• IMGP5747.JPG
    IMGP5747.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 313
  • IMGP5748.JPG
    IMGP5748.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 311
  • IMGP5749.JPG
    IMGP5749.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 305
  • IMGP5751.JPG
    IMGP5751.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 306
  • IMGP5756.JPG
    IMGP5756.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 313

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Awesome work Joost. They look wounderful right now. they grow as fast as verrucosus as far as I can see. You have lost many or not the case?
cheers!

Allistor

Reaction score
Amazing creatures! I just loved your videos! Hope that you could be very successful with those young ones ;)

Joost

Reaction score
I did loose some larvae, I used the setup of a large tank to raise them all. Only the stronger animals will survive. I have seven larvae left.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Sweet, Joost! Today at night I meet my sexed pair of T. kweichows in a friends house. Hope I be doing this in one year!:p

Cheers,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!