Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T.natans setup

A

alan

42985.jpg

120x45cm tank, 30 cm of water. No filter, lots of plants. 2cm of sand, a couple of handfuls of peat and some oak leaves. Lots of bogwood. I'm going for that swap feeling
happy.gif

50ppm CaCO3, pH 6-7, 26-27C. There is a 6cm air space and a 5cm glass rim overhanging the tank all the way round, with a 6mm glass lid on the top. Think that'll keep them in?

E

edward

Hi Alan,
the overhanging lip will help a lot in keeping them in the tank, but still make sure the glass lid is secure....

Ed

E

edward

Hi Alan,
I don't think bricks are needed as they can't get the same leverage that they could when going up a straight corner but they are such escape artists that I would still want a little more security.

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on September 13, 2005)

A

alan

One more question (for Tony and anyone else), since two of these are much bigger than the other two, should I worry about the smaller ones getting enough to eat/do anything special for the smaller ones?

A

anthony

Nothing special alan just plenty of earthworms bloodworm and lancefish prawns as they have bad eyesight the bigger ones will often miss some of the food as they go around the tank.
Tony.

K

kim

Alan, they are very nice! I'd like to come and see them next time im up your way, i have wanted some for quite some time but as of yet i dont have the space.

Was that your Oscar tank? If so wheres the Oscar?

A

alan

You're always welcome here Kim
wink.gif

Yes, that's my (ex-)Oscar tank, somewhat modified to make it escape proof (hopefully).
Sadly, 5 years after I rehomed him from a local fish shop, he passed on to the great fishroom in the sky. Can't have an empty tank now, can we?
wink.gif

E

edward

Hi Alan,
Females can get a lot bigger than the males and I just them enough that all of them get a chance to eat.

I do seperate the offspring by size as the really small ones have a more difficult time in feeding (probably still have the scraping teeth while the larger ones may have shed them already).

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1