Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. shanjing babies!

newtguyDave

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was asked by a few people to post pics. Since I am new to the group and am frustrated trying to find places to upload pics, I thought i would post it here to the people who would probably be most interested in them.

Hope you enjoy!

Dave

Attachments

• Emperor Newt Morph 150dpi.jpg
    Emperor Newt Morph 150dpi.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 2,997
  • Emperor Newt Morphs feeding 150dpi.jpg
    Emperor Newt Morphs feeding 150dpi.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 2,648
  • emp eggs.jpg
    emp eggs.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 633
  • developing larvae1.jpg
    developing larvae1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 610
  • developing larvae2.jpg
    developing larvae2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 693
  • emp larvae.jpg
    emp larvae.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 606
  • dark and light phase emps.jpg
    dark and light phase emps.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 799

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice!!!
Are you keeping the dark and light lines separate, or do they just come out that way, like hair color?
Also, do other breeders keep them separate, or do light and dark interbreed? What is the standard of practice? I'm asking because maybe I'll be getting some shanjing myself ;)

newtguyDave

Reaction score
The babies are kept together regardless of color. I do seperate the morphs by female when possible and I do split up large and small ones.

I used the term color phase, but honestly I do not know if this will stay that color as they age or if it is a result of age at metamorphosis.

I will try and post some more pics soon.

So, how many other people in the US are activley breeding this species? I know they are bred in zoos, but what about private individuals?

Dave

newtguyDave

Reaction score
That is what I figured, though it is nice to have someone else confirm.

Turtsmcgee

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was asked by a few people to post pics. Since I am new to the group and am frustrated trying to find places to upload pics, I thought i would post it here to the people who would probably be most interested in them.

Hope you enjoy!

Dave
Hi Dave, I know the post is old, just wondering if you might be able to offer some advice on an issue at am having with some young T. Shanjing.
First is a shedding issue (I think) I will attach images, second is food options, as I am having a very difficult time acquiring blackworms…
Any and all advice is appreciated!!!
Neal

Reactions: Zay
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!