Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. Shanjing Set-Up

Cyprinidae

Reaction score
Hi guys!
A while ago I posted about the emperor newt vivarium I am making. I've made some changes (waterdish instead of pond, screen top, etc.) Ill post a pic on this thread as soon as I can. I am hoping to get a pair of newts, does anyone here plan to breed their t.shanjing or similar species soon? Also, what is the ideal humidity level? Rigt now it is 70% and the temp is 68F.
Thanks,
-Cyprinidae

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I don't think anyone would be able to tell you for sure if their newts are going to breed unless it's already happened and they have eggs/juveniles now. It's pretty hit or miss, they either breed or they don't. Some newts will go seasons without breeding and some will breed every season. I don't think there's a way to know for sure though, even when newts are showing breeding behavior you still might not get eggs, and if you do they could be infertile.

Cyprinidae

Reaction score
Thank you, Aaron! I guess I'll just keep my eye on the sales feed for now ;)
is 70% humidity good for t. shanjing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!