T. Verrucosus correct set-up/housing

greenwood09

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased a cb crocodile newt T. verrucosus last spring he/she is doing well. I have the newt in a terrestrial set-up with a large water dish at one end of the tank. I was reading that in the second year they prefer to be in a totally aquatic set-up. I have a tank set-up that is half water/half terrestrial that I was thinking I might transfer the newt in the spring. I am not sure what the best set-up would be. I would appreciate any advice. thanks.

If you want a newt to go aquatic from being terrestrial for so long, it is probably best to have it in a very shallow aquatic setup with lots of live plants, and slightly increasing the water every week or two, with regular water changes of course

I've heard that some strains of T. verrucosus will become aquatic above about 20c. The ones I have are usually colder than that though. They are the dark variant and have never set foot on land, even straight after morphing, although they have the choice. They have been fine in very deep water, but like Aaron says, it would be wise to start off with a shallow, densely planted set up just to be sure it wont drown. When they aren't looking for food mine seem to spend most of the day in the floating weeds near the surface, so it would be a good idea to provide something similar where they can reach the surface to breath with minimum effort.

Attachments

• verrucosus tank..jpg
    verrucosus tank..jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back