Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tadpoles as food for Axxies

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
Axolotls are carnivores and eat any meat. Always vary the diet and make sure live food is properly quarantined and examined for sickness and parasites before adding to the tank.

BTW, they literally eat their own eggs and each other.

wolfen

Reaction score
Hi there

Can Axolotls be fed tadpoles?

Thanks
have thought about doing so myself as they are a food source in the wild, the only thing that stops me though is the possibility that the hormone that frogs use to metamorphosis from tadpoles to frogs could possibly affect the axolotl.
really would need to find someone who has fed tadpoles to axolotls to find out.

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
have thought about doing so myself as they are a food source in the wild, the only thing that stops me though is the possibility that the hormone that frogs use to metamorphosis from tadpoles to frogs could possibly affect the axolotl.
really would need to find someone who has fed tadpoles to axolotls to find out.
Frogs aren't the only type of tadpoles though. There's salamander and newt tadpoles too.

wolfen

Reaction score
Frogs aren't the only type of tadpoles though. There's salamander and newt tadpoles too.
still the same issues of whether the hormones can affect the axolotl because their thyroid doesn't produce the hormone that causes change.

JM29

Reaction score
In Europe, well developed toads tadpole are often refused by newts (not palatable because of skin repellent substances).
I've never tested on axolotls.

Another issue : be sure the tadpole are not from a legally protected frog species.

wolfen

Reaction score
after reading further into using tadpoles as food, I found that the university of California used tadpoles for feeding axolotls in preparation to breading, although there is no mention to how developed the tadpoles were.

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
after reading further into using tadpoles as food, I found that the university of California used tadpoles for feeding axolotls in preparation to breading, although there is no mention to how developed the tadpoles were.
What kind of tadpoles?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have fed tadpoles from.my garden pond to axolotl and other salamanders with no issues. However with hindsight there are risks regarding diseases being passed on. Fortunately my frog population have always appeared healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!