Tadpoles as food for Axxies

Axolotls are carnivores and eat any meat. Always vary the diet and make sure live food is properly quarantined and examined for sickness and parasites before adding to the tank.

BTW, they literally eat their own eggs and each other.

Axolotls are carnivores and eat any meat. Always vary the diet and make sure live food is properly quarantined and examined for sickness and parasites before adding to the tank.

BTW, they literally eat their own eggs and each other.
Thanks!

Hi there

Can Axolotls be fed tadpoles?

Thanks
have thought about doing so myself as they are a food source in the wild, the only thing that stops me though is the possibility that the hormone that frogs use to metamorphosis from tadpoles to frogs could possibly affect the axolotl.
really would need to find someone who has fed tadpoles to axolotls to find out.

have thought about doing so myself as they are a food source in the wild, the only thing that stops me though is the possibility that the hormone that frogs use to metamorphosis from tadpoles to frogs could possibly affect the axolotl.
really would need to find someone who has fed tadpoles to axolotls to find out.
Frogs aren't the only type of tadpoles though. There's salamander and newt tadpoles too.

Frogs aren't the only type of tadpoles though. There's salamander and newt tadpoles too.
still the same issues of whether the hormones can affect the axolotl because their thyroid doesn't produce the hormone that causes change.

In Europe, well developed toads tadpole are often refused by newts (not palatable because of skin repellent substances).
I've never tested on axolotls.

Another issue : be sure the tadpole are not from a legally protected frog species.

after reading further into using tadpoles as food, I found that the university of California used tadpoles for feeding axolotls in preparation to breading, although there is no mention to how developed the tadpoles were.

after reading further into using tadpoles as food, I found that the university of California used tadpoles for feeding axolotls in preparation to breading, although there is no mention to how developed the tadpoles were.
What kind of tadpoles?

I have fed tadpoles from.my garden pond to axolotl and other salamanders with no issues. However with hindsight there are risks regarding diseases being passed on. Fortunately my frog population have always appeared healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back