Photo: Tail irritation

LaylaMoonpie

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi! I noticed that my axie was acting strangely (trying to scratch his tail) and when I came to take a closer look I noticed that his tail looks a little weird. I also fed him two worms however he didn't eat them. I changed his water yesterday, I think it might possibly be ammonia that was previously in the water combined with stress due to the change, although I am no expert and just want to make sure it's nothing more serious. Other than that there aren't any symptoms, he was very restless before I changed the water (due to all the pollution), now he looks more relaxed. I'm attaching a photo for you to take a look.

EDIT: He actually keeps to try and bite at his own tail, in the place shown in the picture.

Attachments

• 1694164514313.jpg
    1694164514313.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 341
Last edited:
How long have you had this axolotl? Is your tank cycled? What are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in your tank?

How long have you had this axolotl? Is your tank cycled? What are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in your tank?
I had him for 3 years now, it's not cycled and I'm out of test strips to test the water levels, but as I said I changed the water yesterday and filtered the sand (there was a lot of dirt) so it should be low. He threw up and now he seems to be calmer, not trying to scratch or bite and doesn't move around as much as he did before.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back