Takes food into his mouth and then spits it out.

Watermelon_Rat0331

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

My axie been refusing to eat for about 5 days now and I'm concerned. I've been feeding him cut up earthworms and he eats everyday. When this started I thought it could be a bad worm, the temperature and season change here, or just he didn't want worms/wasn't hungry then. Whenever I offered him a peace of worm, he would sometimes try to eat it and spit it out, or turn away from it and ignore me.

I got a bag of pellets and offered him some, to me it was a breakthrough because every one i dropped in the tank for him he would take. But he either immediately spit it out again or had it in his mouth for a bit and then spit it out.

Ive compared pictures from when he was younger and he doesnt look swollen on his throat or mouth. But im worried that he could be sick

the temperature is always 18c - 20c/64f - 68f. Ph is 7.5. I had to do an emergency fish in cycle because my family surprised me with him the day after I got his tank and the cycle wasn't done. currently the levels are Ammonia - 1ppm, Nitrite - 2ppm, Nitrate - 5ppm. Ive been dosing with prime to detoxify everything though.

Thank you!

Okay so you need to tub your axolotl and do 100% water changes every day and cycle the tank properly. Prime is just binding everything not helping it cycle.

You axolotl is likely suffering the effects of the constant ammonia and nitrite which is like having burns or hyper sensitive tissue so eating becomes painful.

HERE is a handout on cycling

Okay so you need to tub your axolotl and do 100% water changes every day and cycle the tank properly. Prime is just binding everything not helping it cycle.

You axolotl is likely suffering the effects of the constant ammonia and nitrite which is like having burns or hyper sensitive tissue so eating becomes painful.

HERE is a handout on cycling
Okay, will do. Thank you so much.

(UPDATE) He ate two pellets today! I offered him more but he ended up spitting those out. Took him a while to get it down, but at least he finally ate something.

Any suggestions or advice anyone has is welcomed though,
Thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back