Tank cycling question

B

brett

I have 2 aquariums, aquarium 1 has fish and is quite large. aquarium 2 has the axy and is smaller.

The axy is growing and I want to move him to aquarium 1 and the fish to aquarium 2.

To avoid possible cross-contamination, I will move the water and gravel etc (have loads of buckets ready).

However I want to leave the filters in-place as aquarium 1 has a big filter and aquarium 2 has a smaller filter.

But, I cant swap the filter media because they are different sizes so I was going to buy new filer media.
Buy buying new media will that, in any way, cause me problems with tank cycling i.e. new media = no beneficial bacteria, so ineffective filtration for a time(how long?) and possibly a rise in nitrites etc?. I want to avoid cycling the aquariums if possible.

i dont see why it would be a problem to keep the filters as they are providing both your aquariums are disease free. do not wash the gravel as you move it as it contains good bacteria. when i moved my axies into their bigger tank i just transfered the water and stones, topped it up and it was all go. i would moniter it carefully though just incase you dont have enough bacteria and it needs to cycle a bit more. you could also put some ornaments etc you used in the tanks into the new one just to add a bit more good stuff just in case :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back