Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank is cloudy and the PH is dropping?

rmschilling

Reaction score
Hi everyone! It's been a long while since I've had to ask for advice from this site since things have gone really well with my axie, but I'm afraid I have quite a strange conundrum I can't seem to find answers on. About a week ago my tank had a bit of a white cloud about a day or so after I did my weekly cleaning. Usually, when this happens I let it sit for a few days and it goes away, but in this case, it just was just getting more and more cloudy. I decided to check the water with the test kits I have right now (which unfortunately all I have is PH and Nitrite, haven't been able to restock my ammonia tests) and the PH had dropped from it's usual 7.0 to the low 6 range?? Looking it up I found it to most likely be a bacterial bloom so I began doing daily water changes, and now thankfully the cloudiness has cleared up a significant amount and the PH has risen to a 6.6-6.8 range. I've been also feeding my axie outside of the tank whenever I clean it because I read food can worsen a bacterial bloom, but yesterday I figured I'd give feeding him inside the tank a try since the PH has stopped dropping and rose to 6.8. But when I woke up this morning it was cloudier and the PH dropped to 6.6 again. This is really confusing and frustrating, not to mention very stressful, and worse yet I haven't seen anything about a bacterial bloom affecting the PH. I'm planning on getting an Ammonia test kit very soon but I'm not so sure it has anything to do with Ammonia. If anyone has any answers as to why this is happening I would very much appreciate it! :sick::sick:

rmschilling

Reaction score
Update: I'm able to do a water change and have it at 7.0, but at the end of the day it drops down to 6.8 I'm honestly losing my mind this is so horribly stressful and I can't find any answers. The ph stays at 6.8 unless I put food in and then it drops to 6.6, this literally has never happened before in my 2 years of having this tank. I really could use some help right now because I'm at a loss as to what to do and I'm so tired

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!