Tank mates to be used for food.

Grumpyeel

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What would be your suggestion on a tank mate that can live with axolotls and wont harm them but the axolotl will eat?

I was originally going to go with guppies because the research I done originally concluded that it was fine. But after a refined search there is a chance they with attack my poor child and eat his gills. Then I found out about rosy minnows and ghost shrimp. I don't really want to go the route of rosy minnows because they can grow quite big and then I would just have to get rid of it. So im considering ghost shrimp but I dont know if thats a good idea to house with them or just a snack to keep in a separate tank.

I want to watch it hunt as well as have a more populated tank. If it helps my axie is 4-5 inches would that be to small?

I use white cloud minnows xD
They clean up some planaria and small worms that start growing in the tank. Have yet to see any of them nibble on my axies, and i keep a few with my smaller axies as well.

My babies enjoying fishing for them at night xD i usually wake up to one less fish...

But they recently had baby fish too, so I'm guessing theyre not that hard to breed as well, and fairly cheap in comparison to guppies where i live!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ghost shrimp will not live very long - check out my avatar! I bought 20 the other day, and my 4 axies took about 6 hours to catch them all. And they are pretty hard to breed at home, I just buy 20 for £1.50 at my LFS.

Guppies should be fine if your axie is about 5", if in doubt you can breed the guppies (I have a small breeding tank for the guppies) and feed the babies to your axie before they get too big.

Minnows are a type of carp, which I believe are not the best fish for axie food, so I went with guppies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back