Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank Setup Help

New set up or change the one I already had.

• New set up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change the one I already had.

• Other, (Please explain)

• Total voters

Axolotl:D

Reaction score
Hello, I have gotten a tank and the required additives for the tank to house an axolotl. Although, I currently can't find a setup to make a tank safe for a 2-4-month-old axolotl. To start, I currently have a tank with two Java Ferns and the bottom of the tank as Fluvia volcanic solid substrate. I know that this is not the best for an axolotl, so I attempted to cover it up with sand. Sadly, it was not enough, and unless I'm willing to spend countless dollars attempting to fix this, there is currently nothing I can think of to do. I'm currently not sure if I should take out the water and then all the sand and substrate (wasting around 50$), or should I just completely redo the tank from the start. I have been told young Axolotl can live in a bare tank, but I have some concerns mostly about that. Therefore, I am trying to set up a safe tank for my future Axolotl. Keep in mind if you have suggestions, I am using a 20-gallon tank and am willing to scrap the substrate and sand that was already in there. In addition, if anyone has any other idea of changing the tank to a new setup, I'm all ears. Thanks, Caden.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Hello, I have gotten a tank and the required additives for the tank to house an axolotl. Although, I currently can't find a setup to make a tank safe for a 2-4-month-old axolotl. To start, I currently have a tank with two Java Ferns and the bottom of the tank as Fluvia volcanic solid substrate. I know that this is not the best for an axolotl, so I attempted to cover it up with sand. Sadly, it was not enough, and unless I'm willing to spend countless dollars attempting to fix this, there is currently nothing I can think of to do. I'm currently not sure if I should take out the water and then all the sand and substrate (wasting around 50$), or should I just completely redo the tank from the start. I have been told young Axolotl can live in a bare tank, but I have some concerns mostly about that. Therefore, I am trying to set up a safe tank for my future Axolotl. Keep in mind if you have suggestions, I am using a 20-gallon tank and am willing to scrap the substrate and sand that was already in there. In addition, if anyone has any other idea of changing the tank to a new setup, I'm all ears. Thanks, Caden.
I'm unfamiliar with Fluvia volcanic solid substrate and a quick google search didn't turn up anything helpful. Could you add some photos of the product, packaging, and tank set up if possible?

Reaction score
I'm unfamiliar with Fluvia volcanic solid substrate and a quick google search didn't turn up anything helpful. Could you add some photos of the product, packaging, and tank set up if possible?
Here is a photos:

Attachments

• 81ZBOz1pHdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81ZBOz1pHdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 130

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Here is a photos:
From the photo of the product bag, it doesn't look like it would be fine enough to pass through an axolotl's digestive system (particularly a baby's), so I definitely wouldn't use it for an axolotl habitat. I know you mentioned that you "have some concerns" about doing barebottom, but I personally believe it to be the easiest option to maintain and clean, but it does require very low flow. If you have any specific questions, I might be able to answer. Otherwise, most axolotl owners use very very fine sand. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide which option will be most effective (both in terms of cost and long-term practicality), but you should definitely use something different.

Reaction score
From the photo of the product bag, it doesn't look like it would be fine enough to pass through an axolotl's digestive system (particularly a baby's), so I definitely wouldn't use it for an axolotl habitat. I know you mentioned that you "have some concerns" about doing barebottom, but I personally believe it to be the easiest option to maintain and clean, but it does require very low flow. If you have any specific questions, I might be able to answer. Otherwise, most axolotl owners use very very fine sand. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide which option will be most effective (both in terms of cost and long-term practicality), but you should definitely use something different.
Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!