Tank setup

Amcgilbery

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys I know I've posted this before so sorry in advance, but I'm setting up a new ten gallon tank for my California newt, and I am having trouble deciding on whether to make it terrestrial or aquatic or half ? I also don't know the best ways to set these up so please and all suggestions will be welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main problem I'm encountering is if I should build the tank as a terrestrial set up or semi aquatic, any person stories from anyone who has owned these newts before would be much appreciated

I've looked into getting this species, but I don't own this newt. But I've read a lot of threads on this site about a terrestrial set ups. Owners say they don't use the water area AT ALL until breeding season. I figure terrestrial is easier to keep anyway when you don't have to worry about cycling, algae, ammonia etc. Anywho, that's my two cents. Hope you figure something cool out though.

Also lighting suggestions would be helpful

Lighting isnt really necessary but i would because a life without any sunlight is pretty dull, if u have a screen top for your tank then i would advise u get some uvb in there, it also helps if u want to have some live plants and its good breeding newts

Lighting isnt really necessary but i would because a life without any sunlight is pretty dull, if u have a screen top for your tank then i would advise u get some uvb in there, it also helps if u want to have some live plants and its good breeding newts

What watt would you recommend?

Im not sure what mine even is! I would think its very low because it doesnt get hot, so get the lowest wattage you can find

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back