Tank size and other

cpsTN

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Charles Sands
I would like to starting keeping Newts, and right now I am doing research to get the ins and outs. I haven't bought anything yet. I am thinking of a 20G tank, leaning more toward 20 long than toward high, but I could go 40G. I don't know yet which type I want to keep. I know that I want enough room for them to move and swim without being cramped. I also don't want to be cramped for space myself. Should I use a mechanical filter or will live plants work? How much water should I have per Newt? Is there a certain depth range for the water and how much "land" surface should there be? Trying to get the general parameters here. Thank You in advance.

Charles Sands

Once you have a better idea which type of newt you are interested in you can make a more informed decision about the set up. It is not one type of set up fits all newts.

Once you have a better idea which type of newt you are interested in you can make a more informed decision about the set up. It is not one type of set up fits all newts.

Fire-Bellied are the ones that it most likely will be. I would like others, but I can't find a dealer locally and online shipping is terrible. I could easily collect from the wild, but that would possibly introduce diseases and who knows what else into the mix. Where does that put me?

Charles Sands

Fire-Bellied are the ones that it most likely will be. I would like others, but I can't find a dealer locally and online shipping is terrible. Where does that put me?

Charles Sands

Firebelly newts(H. orientalis) are probably not the best option since most are wild caught and imported in bad conditions, often being sick, or just refusing water/food. If theres no breeders in your area, online is probably the only/best option(since you don't want to purchase newts from pet stores as they're almost always wild caught), shipping is usually around 25-30$. And all the animals sold on here are captive bred. P. waltl is a pretty easy specie to take care of and they're for sale more often than most other newts. You could probably house a trio in a 20 long, and you could basically fill it to the top since they don't come out of water very often, the most you'll need is a floating piece of cork bark, but mine are just kept fully aquatic, and a secure lid would be needed.
For Sale, Give-Away or Trade - FS: USA at Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Portal
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Pleurodeles waltl

Firebelly newts(H. orientalis) are probably not the best option since most are wild caught and imported in bad conditions, often being sick, or just refusing water/food. If theres no breeders in your area, online is probably the only/best option(since you don't want to purchase newts from pet stores as they're almost always wild caught), shipping is usually around 25-30$. And all the animals sold on here are captive bred. P. waltl is a pretty easy specie to take care of and they're for sale more often than most other newts. You could probably house a trio in a 20 long, and you could basically fill it to the top since they don't come out of water very often, the most you'll need is a floating piece of cork bark, but mine are just kept fully aquatic, and a secure lid would be needed.
For Sale, Give-Away or Trade - FS: USA at Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Portal
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Pleurodeles waltl

I found an online store ( reptilecity.com ) that says all their animals are from numerous breeders. Also, most animals are shipped free.

Charles Sands

Chinese firebellies from reptilecity are undoubtedly wild-caught. Many other species they sell are the same case. Just from looking at their "quick care" at the top of the salamander page shows they're not a good place to purchase these animals from. 74 to 86 degrees would be lethal to most salamanders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back