Question: Tank size for Chinese FBN's

mattramsland

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have adopted 5 chinese fire belly newts. They were given to me in a small plastic container, about 1 gallon perhaps. I know they need a larger tank, but how large? I will purchase a glass aquarium with a screen lid, filter, etc. and live plants. So...what's the smallest size tank they will do well in?

the minimum for each CFBN should be 5 gallons, but this is a minimum and the bigger tank you can give them the better :)

A 20 gallon should be enough. This is a small species with no territorial or agressive behaviour.
Avoid using a filter, they like their water completely still. LOTS of plants are in order..really...LOTS.

I had 3 temporarily in a 7.5 gallon tank and they did fine (I think I'd recommend bigger though). Mine are now in a 16 gallon and are sooooooo much more active.

As Azhael said they aren't terretorial or aggressive as such. Mine frequently stand on each other and they don't seem to mind; most other animals wouldn't be impressed :(

mines always do that, clamber over each other and don't care one bit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back