Question: Tank Upgrade (cooling)

Nano

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Ben
I am upgrading my 90l aquarium to a 240l aquarium as my Axie needs some more space. The only thing I'm worried about is cooling. I have had enough trouble this summer keeping the tank below 24 degrees and I'm worried about having such a large tank to keep cool. Do fans even work in humid(ish) British heat?? I am thinking about a chiller but most are about £250 and thats a lot on top of a £500 tank. Do many of you out there have them and do you have any recommendations? (The cheaper the better as long as they work well)

There are DIY mini fridge chillers, but I haven't bothered with one of those yet. I use a fan on my tank and it's situated with an AC vent blowing at it. I had my axolotl in a 37L (10G) when he was a juvie and upgraded him to a 208L (55G). The 208L tank actually stays about the same temperature if not a degree or 2 lower than the 37L tank, and other than being a bit closer to the AC, nothing has changed other than a bigger air pump since the tank is bigger, but I'm still using the same clip on fan.

A larger tank will heat up slower than a smaller one. There is more water to heat, so it takes longer.

I have only heard of one true DIY chiller, the mini fridge one already mentioned. However, it might be possible to turn this ( $8 Homemade Air Conditioner - Works Flawlessly! - YouTube ) into a water chiller, it might be worth a go. -Seth

Evaporative cooling does work better in lower humidity.

Here are some cooling ideas:

Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

I went with a standard aquarium chiller in order to reduce tank temperature by 10 degrees Fahrenheit, as well as to keep the temperature stable, in order to avoid stress-related ailments (both for the axies as well as myself :happy:).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back