Tank won’t cycle past nitrite..?

bitea

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello everyone!
I have been trying to cycle my tank for weeks now, and even though the cycle does end up forming nitate as it should at the end, there still remains a very high concentration of nitrite..it almost seems like there is too much of it, so it cannot fully do its thing

How could i reduce it? I keep on adding ammonia whenever its around below 1ppm, and as it does dissapear, the nitrite does not. Its been around 3 weeks like this. Been also adding the beneficial bacteria to help it but no luck on a full cycle..

Any tips on cycling in general? It is a whole science that i am trying my best to understand for the first time in my life 😅

Thanks so much!! The community here is amazing :)

All the best,
A.

Hello everyone!
I have been trying to cycle my tank for weeks now, and even though the cycle does end up forming nitate as it should at the end, there still remains a very high concentration of nitrite..it almost seems like there is too much of it, so it cannot fully do its thing

How could i reduce it? I keep on adding ammonia whenever its around below 1ppm, and as it does dissapear, the nitrite does not. Its been around 3 weeks like this. Been also adding the beneficial bacteria to help it but no luck on a full cycle..

Any tips on cycling in general? It is a whole science that i am trying my best to understand for the first time in my life 😅

Thanks so much!! The community here is amazing :)

All the best,
A.
I’ve been having the same problem! I purchased a pre seeded spongye filter, and am waiting for it to arrive. I’ll share results after it runs for 24 hours once it arrives and see if that helped! I would also try maybe 25% water changes every other day and see if that brings it down a little.

Agreed, please post your water parameters for a better answer. Also, why are you adding ammonia?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back