Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha granulosa breeding success!

oregon newt

Reaction score
Well, last night I came home and found my female laying eggs. So far we have counted a couple, but I hope there are more to come. They have been mating all winter, and now they have something to show for it. I have to go to school, but will post some pictures and more specifics when I get home.

oregon newt

Reaction score
Here are some pictures. So far we have counted 7 eggs. I really didn't do too much to get them to breed. The temperature this winter has been around the low 60s. I have a flourescent light that I turn on when the sun comes up and turn off when the sun goes down. I feed them earthworms, but this winter I ran out of them so I got frozen bloodworms. The plants are also plastic. There are some pictures of them in amplexus here: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59111

Attachments

• phpdrOcf4PM.jpg
    phpdrOcf4PM.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 497
  • phpmw6GxuPM.jpg
    phpmw6GxuPM.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 446
  • phpFDli2NPM.jpg
    phpFDli2NPM.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 404

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Super, I'm very happy to see this! How many adults do you have?

Jake

Reaction score
That's great news, Will! A lot of people see amplexus, but few ever find eggs. Good luck raising the larvae.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. That's the same number of adults that Audrey has kept together; she's also been successful getting eggs from T granulosa. This could be coincidence, or it could be something that's significant in breeding this species.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Which would be really unusual since that seldom ever occurs in the wild!

oregon newt

Reaction score
Here is another picture of the eggs. The one on the left seems to be a dud. What do you think?

Attachments

• phpPJzMSaAM.jpg
    phpPJzMSaAM.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 426

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is another picture of the eggs. The one on the left seems to be a dud. What do you think?
I agree - the left one is a dud. The one on the right is ambiguous; it's either a fertile egg, or it's too soon to tell. Do you have any that are clearly developing (changing shape)? In 2-3 days it's usually fairly discernible.

oregon newt

Reaction score
Here's a strange photo. It seems like there are 2 embryos in 1 membrane.

Attachments

• phpDhcsdXPM.jpg
    phpDhcsdXPM.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 415
  • phpFuqQ1DPM.jpg
    phpFuqQ1DPM.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 341

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It happens now and then that there are more than one embryo in one egg but most of the ones I've seen are separated by another membrane (that is hard to tell with the photo).

And late congratulations to the breeding success!

fabian

Reaction score
Interesting. That's the same number of adults that Audrey has kept together; she's also been successful getting eggs from T granulosa. This could be coincidence, or it could be something that's significant in breeding this species.

I don't think this is significant, I've always kept them in groups (3,4 at the Moment) and bread them every year.

oregon newt

Reaction score
Well, I'm starting to think that these eggs aren't fertile. I have not seen any clear signs of development and it has been a week since she has started laying.
Edit: Scratch that. I'm almost positive. :(

uwe

Reaction score

Not necessarily,

I keep 2,2 and they breed since years very well.

Uwe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!