Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha torosa season

P

pin-pin

Hello all, I'm sure you have all been suffering a horrible deficiency of Taricha in your lives, so I thought I'd oblige.

Found a rather odd coloured male here (He had patches of white):
30993.jpg

The female in the center is in the process of laying an egg cluster.
30994.jpg

It's a bit early in the season, I haven't seen as many eggs as I saw last year--but I'm sure they're just getting started! I'll return for a look in about a month.

S

shaun

Awesome pictures! I wish I had wild Torosa breeding within driving distance.

TJ

Reaction score
Great job as usual, Pin-pin!

My desire for Taricha has been satiated...for now
yawn.gif

J

jeff

What is it about pictures like these that get me all excited like a kid waking up on Christmas Day? Great pictures!

P

pin-pin

Thanks guys and gals, it was indeed quite a lovely surprise.
biggrin.gif
I'm so proud of them, even if I wasn't really a part of their "explosive mating." This pond has never disappointed me.

One thing which was interesting is the cornified toe tips of the males. It's quite distinct, I'll see if I can post it a bit later today.

U

uwe

Hi Pin-pin,

perfect pictures. We hope to see these in our terraria soon too.

At least this species is not endangered in the wild!

Uwe

T

tara

PP
Wow, and to think I went all the way to california and only saw a few slenders. By the time I make it back the Tarichas will be gone away, but perhaps the larvae will be out to play.
Tara

P

pin-pin

Thank you Uwe! If you do get good news, please share it with us.

I know, Tara, I'm so sad you didn't get to see them in the wild! I've even just saw an A. californiense, can you believe it? Guess they're just masters of hiding until the rainy season starts.

P

pin-pin

Ah, about the toe tips--the black tips were only prominent on the males:
DSCN2435.jpg

Other critters were feeling the love groove as well, some of whom we accidentally interrupted.
DSCN2441.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1