Temperature Problem

I

itosu

I have a problem with my axolotls. Their tank is on the up-side of comfortable for them, however summer isn;t here yet and it will get up to 100 degrees through the day. I need to drop their tank temperature. Any ideas?

you could try putting a fan in you room or put ice in the tank or put a bottle full of frozen water in your tank

where abouts do you live? have they gone through a summer b4? how big are they? how much is 100 farenheight in degrees? my tank reaches 27 (the hottest) and my axy's dont seem to care at all because they were born in this sort of weather. I dont usually cool it down but if i do i always use bottles with frozen water in them.

Itosu, do you mean that the room they are in will get to 100F (38C) this summer? Frozen bottles will NOT be sufficient to keep them alive in such heat. They will die. The only options that will cool them THAT much, are an air conditioner, or a tank chiller system, or moving them somewhere cooler.

you could try putting ice blocks in as well and get a thermometer (just in case) so you know when to put ice in (just a suggestion)and woudnt a fan be as good as air conditioning?

A fan just moves hot air around. Anything damp (like us, or aquarium water) gets cooled a bit by evaporation. For a fan to do any good at cooling aquarium water, the moving air must be blowing on the water surface. AC actually lowers the temperature of the air in the room, which is a lot more effective.

Ice only lowers the temp for a few hours. And for a 20-gallon tank, you need about a big jug (1-2 liters) of frozen water to make any significant change in tank temp. It's better than nothing, but most people (including me) don't have the diligence and freezer space to do this every day all summer.

i have a 2ft and i only use 2 tiny water bottles which lowers it down 1 degree. But switch it with another medium size water bottle so it goes down about 2 degrees.

oh ok well i would say use the ice bottle method if you cant get air conditionig

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back