Temperature question

H

hayley-jane

What happens to the axies if their water temp is constantly in the 70-80 F range?

What damage does it do?

They get stressed, leaving them suseptible to fungal and bacterial infections.

Personally, I keep mine right around 70-75ish and have never had a problem. But their tank has never gotten up to 80.

(Message edited by Joan on July 29, 2005)

Is 70-75 okay then?

Because I can't get mine any lower than 70 despite the 3 floating bottles of ice on the surface.

Without the ice bottles its usually 74.

Hey Joan, I also have problems with my Axolotls tank water keeping it cool for now because it has been 106 degrees or so here. My Axolotls have been in the fridge for a long time now because I am really worried about the temp. The tank never usually get above 75 degrees, so if you keep your Axolotls at this temp and haven't hda any problems, I am wondering the same with Hayley if it would be ok just to keep my Axies in that temp? Keeping the water cool will prove to be very difficult until I can invest some money in a water chiller.

Hayley - add a fan to blow across the top of the water.

My AC has been having a hard time keep the house below 73 the past few weeks because the temperature here has been from 93 to 100+ every day.

I added a small fan to my axolotl tank and it lowered the temperature from 72 to 66.

Cynthia's got the idea. But I haven't had any problems keeping them between 70 and 75ish. But don't let it go any hotter. My new place doesn't have any A/C, so I might have to start getting creative. Also, if it gets cooler at night, leave your windows open. Lately, in Michigan, it's been getting into the 50's at night, so I sleep with the windows open, and close them in the morning and turn the A/C back on.

Hayley, If you can keep it at 70 steadily, then I think they'll be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back