Question: Temporary container size?

kroezen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello!

I bought two adorable axolotls around a month ago and they're about five inches long now. I still don't have a properly cycled tank because I can't get a sponge filter and the one I have now isn't working well enough.
Anyway, I currently have them in small plastic containers that are about 12 inches long and 6 1/2 inches wide. The water level is around 3 inches and I change it every day. Each has its own container.
I'm worried this is too small for them. Should I put them in bigger containers? I have a 10 gallong tank that has a bit more floor space than the tubs but then the two axies will be together and I'm worried they'll nip at each other (is 5 inches safe or should I wait till 6?).

So yeah, bigger containers or am I okay?

So long as they're fed enough and have some hides there should be very minimal nipping (if there's any at all). As for the containers... How long will they be in the small ones? putting them in the 10gal uncycled isn't going to be much different from putting them in your uncycled main tank honestly

They'll be in the tubs for another month or so--untill my tank is cycled that is. Could I posdibly cycle it with them in it? The tank is a 30 inch long and 33 gallons. Could they handel it? :confused:

If you tested the water like every two days and changed 20% of the water daily it's doable. Just have some dechlorinated water and some containers handy just in case you get a spike of ammonia or nitrite

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back