tempurature spikes

ilovesallies

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
nic h panagos
Hi all those interested in helping,
I moved into a new place without a controllable ac. It is centrally controlled globally for all the building units so I can't really control it some days. Also it is a south facing. Some days inside temps reach into the upper 80's forcing the temps in my thermoelectricly cooled 20 gallon to spike on those days to the 75 degree range (but the mean average temp remains 66 degrees). I read that my two of the three residents (spotted salamanders) are hardy and can handle a spike here and there into the 80's, but the third, the Jefferson salamander should never be in temps above 72.
Can someone with adequate experience with many sub ambystoma families tell me if this information about the Jefferson Salamander is true and if it is therfore in peril danger? The caudata care sheets don't mention the temps for Jeffersonium.
The spikes happen maybe once every one or two weeks or so as it seems that this year the average mean is much higher than last year (we're in a drought in socal). These three ambystomas have grown up together from babies for about four years now and I am commited to thier survival. I'm not worried about the compatability issues as these are closely related ambystomas and have shown no aggression to the other for four years. Any insights about the tempurature situations, averages, anomolies, allowances, anything, would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,
Nic

Hi Nic, I can't give a definitive answer, but my hunch is that a temporary temperature of 75 during the day is no problem for any of them. As long as they cool off at night, I think they'll be fine with it. BUT, I have no experience with Jefferson's sals, so hopefully someone else can chime in with that.

A greater danger, in my opinion, is the possibility of a building AC outage or power failure. Have a large cooler, tupperware containers, and ice available as an emergency management plan.

Jennifer,
That's a great idea. I actually have an aditional cooler and ice packs available. I can even put
them in a thermoelectric cooler that hooks up to my car outlet. I wouldn't have thought about it
if you hadn't mentioned it so thanks.

That only leaves one more part of the question..about the Jefferson salamander.
thanks in advance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back