Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Termite trap

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
The traps work great. I use empty Crystal light container tubes that I fill with rolled cardboard cut to size. I take a hot roofing nail and melt about 24 holes into the sides and bottom. My only problem with them is with other reptile and frog guys stealing my traps. I've had to make sure I have them covered with 3 inches of soil to keep others from finding them. Remember not to remove the whole trap when collecting your termites. You don't want to disturb the tunnels they have built to get into the trap. You can find videos of people making them on You Tube. You can also get professional ones from exterminators. They use them to monitor termites around your home. That way they only have to put poison into the ground when they find actual termite colonies that are active near your foundation. They are a great way to collect a easy 1000 termites at a time.

AlienFirefox

Banned
Reaction score
LOL termite traps WOW
when i was a kid i used to make ant traps you would get a coke bottle and cut it about a quarter the way down from the lid and than turn it inside out. you would than get a raw peice of meat i used to use liver and dip it into a little honey lay the trap near an ants nest and wait a couple of days go back and it would be full of ants. im talkin bull ants nearly 2 inches long and boy oh boy wern't they feisty bastards they'd attack anything. i think a milk bottle done the same way would do the same thing same with any plastic bottle really.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
The traps work great. I use empty Crystal light container tubes that I fill with rolled cardboard cut to size. I take a hot roofing nail and melt about 24 holes into the sides and bottom. My only problem with them is with other reptile and frog guys stealing my traps. I've had to make sure I have them covered with 3 inches of soil to keep others from finding them. Remember not to remove the whole trap when collecting your termites. You don't want to disturb the tunnels they have built to get into the trap. You can find videos of people making them on You Tube. You can also get professional ones from exterminators. They use them to monitor termites around your home. That way they only have to put poison into the ground when they find actual termite colonies that are active near your foundation. They are a great way to collect a easy 1000 termites at a time.

Thanks for the great tips, very useful, esp re not disturbing the feeding tunnels., Best, Frank

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
LOL termite traps WOW
when i was a kid i used to make ant traps you would get a coke bottle and cut it about a quarter the way down from the lid and than turn it inside out. you would than get a raw peice of meat i used to use liver and dip it into a little honey lay the trap near an ants nest and wait a couple of days go back and it would be full of ants. im talkin bull ants nearly 2 inches long and boy oh boy wern't they feisty bastards they'd attack anything. i think a milk bottle done the same way would do the same thing same with any plastic bottle really.

Thanks..I trapped ants in the same way, for Horned Lizards (Phrynosoma) - the ecological parallel to your wonderful Thorny Devils. But NYC ants no match for bull ants, that's for sure! I also used pitfall traps - originally to catch feeders and also inverts that I kept for their own sake - especially Caterpillar Hunter Beetles. In field work, found them handy for sampling amphibians in some situations as well. You might enjoy:
Collecting Live Food for Amphibians and Reptiles: Pitfall Traps | That Reptile Blog and Pitfall Traps - Part 2 - Caterpillar Hunter Beetles in the Terrarium | That Reptile Blog. Best, Frank

AlienFirefox

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks mate I'll check it out. Yes Thorny Dragons I know them as mountain devils. Yes we have the echidna that eats solely on termites and ants the problem is we cant keep echidnas for pets here infact any native animal cant be kept for pets yet we shoot and eat kangaroos funny that aye. The echidna is like the porkupine or however you spell it full of spikes and they know how to use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!