Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Testing for Water Pollutants in an Area with a Declining Salamander Population

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I belong to a school group which works to educate about water conservation and raise money to build wells and provide running water to impoverished areas around the world. We also try to work in our community to provide water quality, etc.

Recently, we've been asked to check for pollutants/chemicals in the water at a local park, which seems to be experiencing a decrease in the local salamander population. I'm still a bit in the dark as to the details, but it seem like it may be a stream/creek environment, which leads me to believe we're dealing with Plethodontids, probably Eurycea bislineata and potentially Desmognathus sp.

I've been thinking that tests for heavy metals, chlorine/chloramine, or fertilizers would be the right way to go, however when it comes to Chemistry I'm not the most well-versed.

So here's where you all come in. What should we be testing for potentially? What sort of test kits should we be looking for? Obviously, the details are lacking, for which I apologize. I'll try to update this thread with more info as it comes in. Any advice to start off, though?

Thanks in advance!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
The first test I would do is the Daphnia magna test. Simply release a few live Daphnia magna (an indicator species) into a sample of the water and see how long it takes them to die. Live Daphnia after a long period of time means testing for pollutants may be a waste of time.

As for substance specific tests, I am not familiar with any that are pollutant specific and readily available to the average person. I think a good list of things to look at would be copper, lead, phosphates, TDS/Turbidity, dissolved oxygen, total hardness, and pH. If a local university has a good lab, they may be able to do spectrographic or chromatograhic tests for you.

I heard a rumor there is a doctor of chemistry floating about these forums though...perhaps he can offer some insight...

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I believe the best person to ask is John. He is a doctorate in environmental chemistry/science i think.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I appreciate the input so far; the Daphnia test is certainly easy and possible. As I said before, I'll try and add to this when I hear a bit more about what's going on. Again, thanks for the input, and any more that may come in is greatly appreciated.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you limited to tests for which you can purchase test kits easily? I wouldn't bother with chlorine, as that's very unlikely to be there in any significant amount. It might be worth testing for nitrate and phosphate, as these could indicate problems with fertilizers and/or detergents - and it's easy to buy test kits for both of these.

The Daphnia test sounds ideal. You may be able to get the people at Sach's to give you some advice, as they sell Daphnia specifically for this purpose.
Sachs Systems Aquaculture Welcomes You!
Don't forget that you'll need a positive control - some sort of water that you know for sure is safe and healthy for the daphnia. This way if they die, you'll know for sure if it was the water or something else that was wrong.

sean n dad

Reaction score
Check with the local aquarium clubs in your area, you may be able to find someone who harvests Daphnia & you could get it from them cheap.
Ed

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Are you limited to tests for which you can purchase test kits easily? I wouldn't bother with chlorine, as that's very unlikely to be there in any significant amount. It might be worth testing for nitrate and phosphate, as these could indicate problems with fertilizers and/or detergents - and it's easy to buy test kits for both of these.

The Daphnia test sounds ideal. You may be able to get the people at Sach's to give you some advice, as they sell Daphnia specifically for this purpose.
Sachs Systems Aquaculture Welcomes You!
Don't forget that you'll need a positive control - some sort of water that you know for sure is safe and healthy for the daphnia. This way if they die, you'll know for sure if it was the water or something else that was wrong.

Yes, most likely, we are limited to test kits which are easily accessible to the average person.

The tips about nitrate and phosphate, as well as the control aspect are great, thanks! (I had forgotten completely about the necessity of a control experiment). Additionally, I'll definitely have to check out Sach's.

Abrahm

Reaction score
I really don't have much to add. I work for the second largest environmental testing company in the nation but I don't actually do any environmental testing whatsoever!

If it is a stream that you're sampling make sure that you sample lots of different areas. Look for tributaries and storm drains flowing into the main body. Beyond the phosphate, nitrate and daphnia tests I would recommend doing some pH tests. They're simple if your school already has a pH probe otherwise the aquarium test kit/scientific grade test strips could be used. If the water is terribly acidic or basic it might be a clue. It might not be a bad idea to tester similar local waters that are still considered healthy.

I don't know of any broad tests for heavy metals that are easily available. Most of the tests that could analyze heavy metal level or organic compounds in the water are pretty time consuming. HPLC (high performance liquid chromatography) should be able to detect (and maybe give clues to identity of) organics in the water and ICP-MS (inductively coupled plasma - mass spectroscopy) can detect heavy metals. Both of these techniques are great. Geek moment: ICP uses plasma at a temperature of nearly 10,000K which can vaporize almost any common element :eek:

If you're doing a presentation these might be interesting things to talk about as tools that can help.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Abrahm, I kid you not, I've been waiting for you to comment on this since I posted it (as I still recall your useful tips on my Chytrid paper). I was not let down. I'm thinking I have quite a few things to organize and plan now....

Abrahm

Reaction score
Abrahm, I kid you not, I've been waiting for you to comment on this since I posted it (as I still recall your useful tips on my Chytrid paper). I was not let down. I'm thinking I have quite a few things to organize and plan now....

Aww, thanks Nathan :happy: That's one of the nicest things I've heard in a while.

You should know that if you want my help all you have to do is ask! Send me a PM or carrier pigeon.

JM29

Reaction score
Hello.

If you're not concerned about particular pollutants, you can try this general method to evaluate the water of a pond or a river.
It requires a bit of knowledge of water invertebrates.
This method is regularly used by students and others.

Friendly.
JM

Attachments

• IBio.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 418

JM29

Reaction score
The use is easy :
- look for each of the 7 groups (from A to F),
- if you find some invertebrates of one group, stop on this line.
- count all the taxonomic units you can find. The richer it is, the bigger the score is (and the best it sounds).

hdonahue

Reaction score
The first test I would do is the Daphnia magna test. Simply release a few live Daphnia magna (an indicator species) into a sample of the water and see how long it takes them to die. Live Daphnia after a long period of time means testing for pollutants may be a waste of time.

As for substance specific tests, I am not familiar with any that are pollutant specific and readily available to the average person. I think a good list of things to look at would be copper, lead, phosphates, TDS/Turbidity, dissolved oxygen, total hardness, and pH. If a local university has a good lab, they may be able to do spectrographic or chromatograhic tests for you.

I heard a rumor there is a doctor of chemistry floating about these forums though...perhaps he can offer some insight...

What accomidations do I need to preform the daphnia test? Just plastic cups with still water?
Also, any other "how to's" on these other test would be greatly appreciated!!

hdonahue

Reaction score
Hello.

If you're not concerned about particular pollutants, you can try this general method to evaluate the water of a pond or a river.
It requires a bit of knowledge of water invertebrates.
This method is regularly used by students and others.

Friendly.
JM

Can someone provide pictures for the invertebrates in JM's attached file?
Thanks!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1