Tetra Aqua Safe

Morrison

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Is this safe for axies? I've had big problems with other dechlorinators before and I don't really use one anymore. I hope this one is Safe.

I don't know, I just leave tubs of water out for a day or two before I do my water change, then I just use a simple water conditioner.

Personally though, I prefer not to use tetra or sera products. Regular pet stores have plenty supply of those, but actual experienced aquarium shop owners (some of which actually breed their own fish) rarely ever go for those.

An aquarium store owner once told me that they put too much cheap stuff in there, some chemicals which can over time harm your cycle and such. I'm not sure how completely true that is, but since he has experience... yeh well.

I still think the less chemicals added to water, the better. But I suppose it all depends on how large your water changes need to be (aka how large your tank is)

Oh, and the water conditioner I use is this one:
http://www.discushospers.nl/Colombo-super-safe-100ml

From the moment I began to use that stuff, my tank greatly improved, and so did my 'lotls. Never had any troubles with it. And it's available in the Netherlands ;)

Awesome. Had some good experience with other Colimbo products. I'll definitely check ik out!

It contains traces of iodine so I stopped using it for my axie.

I was in the same situation a few months ago. My bottle never showed that it had iodine in it on the ingredients, but someone else showed me a newer bottle of it and it said it had iodine. I called tetra customer service and they said no iodine was present in their dechlorinator, so something didn't add up. I had to use it for another week until I got a different dechorlinator. There weren't any ill effects from it and I think honestly it's probably safe to use. Dechlorinator is dechlorinator isn't it? But I still switched. I use Seachem Prime now. It gives me a peace of mind knowing that there isn't any iodine in it, plus it lasts for ages.

I have never had a problem with any brand of de chlorinator. What problems have you experienced ? If I am doing a small water change (10% or so) on adult or large juvies I dont even bother using it. Chlorinated water doesn't blow the cycle at low levels and the axolotls do not even notice.

I was in the same situation a few months ago. My bottle never showed that it had iodine in it on the ingredients, but someone else showed me a newer bottle of it and it said it had iodine. I called tetra customer service and they said no iodine was present in their dechlorinator, so something didn't add up. I had to use it for another week until I got a different dechorlinator. There weren't any ill effects from it and I think honestly it's probably safe to use. Dechlorinator is dechlorinator isn't it? But I still switched. I use Seachem Prime now. It gives me a peace of mind knowing that there isn't any iodine in it, plus it lasts for ages.

I really like the Prime, but it is so hard to get the correct amount, the measurements on the bottle are hard for someone that has never used the metric measurement system.
I use it with my fish aquariums but have never attempted it with my axie.
So now for his water changes I just let the water set out for 2 days or so.:happy:

I really like the Prime, but it is so hard to get the correct amount, the measurements on the bottle are hard for someone that has never used the metric measurement system.
I use it with my fish aquariums but have never attempted it with my axie.
So now for his water changes I just let the water set out for 2 days or so.:happy:

I know what you mean. When I first started using it I had the hardest time measuring it. Then I got a dropper. It measures in precise increments by the .5 ml. It works like a charm, especially for small water changes.

When I switched from aquasafe, I was a new owner and worried about every little thing including the "possible" iodine in aquasafe. If it even is in there its in trace amounts. I don't think there really should be a concern of iodine in aquasafe. More for me it's that they put it on their label and then customer service said it wasn't in there. Something was fishy there. (no pun intended) so I haven't gone back. I don't think I was too clear earlier either. Yes I think aquasafe is ok to use if following the directions. The possible small amounts of iodine shouldn't harm a thing. I just didn't like the idea of it. Plus I have trust issues with the company now so I don't use aquasafe. I just think there are better options out there than it.

I used nearly a whole bottle of it with my axie, and he was fine. I'd rather be safe than sorry as it doesn't state how much iodine is in there so just purchased a different brand the next time. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back