Thai 'Plethodon'

C

chris

In the same paper as he descibes Paramesotriton chinensis(as cynops chinensis), Gray, 1859, describes a species of Plethodontid from Thailand (recorded as SIam), which he calls Plethodon persimils, and is supposed to be very similar to Plethodon glutinosus. Now,what could this species possibly be; I know there is no known Hynobid from Thailand.
It could be indeed a species of Plethodontid (one was found in (I think) Korea, though I can't remember North or South). Or it could be an unknown Hynobid salamander (I can see how this could be mistaken in the mid 19th century for a plethodontid; I think other hynobids were originally thought to be plethodontid). Or it could be poorly recorded data; Gray received these specimens (along with the holotypes of Paramesotriton chinensis) from a Mr. Fortune; the 'locality data' for Plethodon persimilis is simply 'Siam', and for Paramesotriton chinensis is simply 'N.E. Coast of China'.

What do other people think? I am going to N. Thailand in a week's time (to study bats) but am hoping to see some Tylototriton shanjing and their habbitat. I might even find 'Plethodon persimilis'.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back