The Best Small Turtle Pets for Those with Limited Space

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career of over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo. The world’s most popular pet turtle, the Red Eared Slider, is a poor choice for those lacking space for a huge aquarium and filter. A number of smaller, less active turtles are easier to accommodate in homes and classrooms. Today I’ll cover some of my favorite aquatic, semi-aquatic and terrestrial species, all of which are being bred in captivity. Unless otherwise stated, all can be kept in a 20-30 gallon aquarium or similarly-sized plastic bin. This list is by no means exhaustive, so please be sure to post your own choices and share your experiences below. Please see the linked articles and post below for in depth information on care and breeding. Read the rest of this article here The Best Small Turtle Pets for Reptile Enthusiasts with Limited Space

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank Indiviglio

Thanks for the info Frank, it is much appreciated!

I had no idea that you could keep a turtle in a 20 gallon tank! I may just see if I can get one. Hey, do you know any trustable websites or breeders that sells them? Thanks again for the post! :grin:. -Seth

Thanks for the info Frank, it is much appreciated!

I had no idea that you could keep a turtle in a 20 gallon tank! I may just see if I can get one. Hey, do you know any trustable websites or breeders that sells them? Thanks again for the post! :grin:. -Seth

Hi,

Hatchlings offered here are often captive bred...let me know if you have a specific dealer or species in mind and I'll see if I can forward further details, best, Frank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back