Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The better worm

A

albert

I was just wondering, which type of worm is the better one to feed newts: earthworms, frozen bloodworms or live tubifex/blackworms? Or are they about the same nutrition wise? I used to feed my CFBs mainly blackworms, but due to a recent shortage at the local pet shop, I switched to frozen bloodworms.
*I know that bloodworms aren't really worms, but whatever...

J

jameswei

Frozen blood worms are not as nutritious as live blood worms because a lot of the nutrients get lost in the freezing process and more get lost once they thaw. As far as i know, live blackworms, earthworms, and live blood worms are some of the most nutritious foods around. One isnt really better than the other but together i assume they are a very balanced meal.

A

albert

Thanks! Just wanted to know because I've heard from some people that live blackworms and tubifex worms don't really have that much nutritional value and are even sort of a risk due to how most of them are collected from sewers and whatnot.

J

joan

Blackworms have a similar nutrition value to earthworms, as they're related. Tubifex are often collected from water with poor water quality. If you animals will eat earthworms, they're the best food choice in terms of nutrition, palatability, and availability. Sometimes it's hard to find live blackworms and even harder to find live tubifex or bloodworms.

J

jennifer

The blackworms sold in the US are not collected from sewers. I believe that if they are rinsed very well, they are fairly clean (though we could probably go into a lengthy discussion of what the word "clean" means in the context of live food). The same goes for earthworms purchased at pet/bait shops.

I would say that frozen bloodworms are a very good substitute for blackworms. I know people who use frozen bw as their primary food source, and the newts are quite healthy, breeding, etc. Using both is probably ideal, as it gives them some variety in their diet.

Also, I would recommend using Hikari bloodworms, if you can get them (Petsmart carries them). They are larger and nicer than the other brands, so they pollute the tank less.

J

jennifer

Kelly, if your newt is the usual pet-shop type (CFB), then it seems like you are asking exactly the same question that was asked at the top of this thread, and answered in the posts here. All worms are good (except dried ones), and a variety is best. See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

J

jennifer

It's unusual, but occasionally individual newts will refuse blackworms. Are the worms staying where the newt can see them (not disappearing into gravel)? Is the newt in the water?

K

kelly

No, well yes they do disappaer in the gravel but not right away. Or do you mean not see-able for the newt. no she's not in water.

(Message edited by kellbell09 on August 06, 2006)

J

jennifer

If the newt is not in water, this is the problem. One suggestion is to put a small water dish on the land area. Put pebbles in it so that the blackworms won't crawl out, and put a "roof" of some kind over it so that it's like a cave (the newt is more likely to go into it). Make the water wading-depth, so the newt can get to the blackworms. Monitor carefully, as the water in a small dish with blackworms can go foul quickly. Another option is to feed the newt using tweezers (chopped earthworm or frozen bloodworm) or dangle the blackworms from an eyedropper in front of the newt.

The FAQ have some suggestions for getting newts to go into the water more:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1