Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The biodude questions

Reaction score
Has anybody heard of the biodude I was wondering if his Terra Flora substrate is safer salamanders and if it works for bioactive if any body knows please tell me

minorhero

Reaction score
He is reasonably popular on dart frog groups. Its safe for dart frogs. I've never tried it specifically with salamanders but its advertised as working with salamanders.

Reaction score
I bought some of his Terra flora and drainage layer but I was going to try it with my tree frog with my marble salamander but I'm not sure

Haze91

Reaction score
I bought some of his Terra flora and drainage layer but I was going to try it with my tree frog with my marble salamander but I'm not sure
Is it working well with your marbled salamander? Can you tell what it is made up of? I was thinking about using it for my long tailed salamanders but I'm worried it may have peat in it.

Reaction score
I haven't actually used it yet but I was going to use it for one of my tree frogs but I will update you when I figure that out

Haze91

Reaction score
I haven't actually used it yet but I was going to use it for one of my tree frogs but I will update you when I figure that out
Ok, thanks. I've been using a mix of coco fiber and fir bark because it's the only substrate that I can find that I know is safe for salamanders. But the coco fiber is always sticking to them!

MnGuy

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I've been using a mix of coco fiber and fir bark because it's the only substrate that I can find that I know is safe for salamanders. But the coco fiber is always sticking to them!

You can make your own substrate with organic topsoil (not potting soil), play sand, sphagnum moss, leaf litter, orchid bark and charcoal.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I put it in my tank with my spring peeper it really doesn't like to be wet but a little bit leak through the substrate barrier is that bad but she seems to like it

Roughskinned

Reaction score
Oh you have a spring peeper? WOW! is it captive bred? What do you feed it? I would always catch them and try to keep them when I was a young boy, but unlike all the other frogs, they always seemed to die within a week or so.

Reaction score
No it is not kept of bread but the spring I'm going to try to catch some and see if I can captive breed them I feed her calcium dusted crickets and she is in a 10 gallon now if you have any other questions just ask

Reaction score
But last year I got eggs but I had to go out of town for a while so they didn't make it
No it is not kept of bread but the spring I'm going to try to catch some and see if I can captive breed them I feed her calcium dusted crickets and she is in a 10 gallon now if you have any other questions just ask

Roughskinned

Reaction score
Thank you so much! That was exactly my dream as a boy - to catch a few and breed them so I could hear their wonderful calls and propagate this wonderful frog. Good luck with them!

one last question - did you do any parasite treatments? I never did and wondered if that was what was killing them, but I had no way of testing

Reaction score
IMG_20201129_231417700.jpg

Roughskinned

Reaction score
Wow - that looks like one happy frog! I honestly wouldn’t know what to recommend since mine always died no matter how I kept them. However, considering you want to breed them, and where I have found them in the wild, I would say a big tank with a large water area would be great. Keep em cool in the winter, and then they have a nice water area for springtime breeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1