Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The biodude questions

Roughskinned

Reaction score
Oh I most certainly would! I love these frogs so much, they’re second only to gray tree frogs in my mind. I might try one again in a few years. The only reason I had stopped was because I didn’t want to keep killing them

Reaction score
If you have any more questions just ask I will answer them and have a great day think about going herping later and tomorrow I'm thinking about going to try to catch some

Roughskinned

Reaction score
They were always a ton of fun when I had them. I would give them fruit flies off of tooth picks and they would never hesitate, even a day after I caught them.

Roughskinned

Reaction score
Now is the time! The few vernal pools around me that have them have all started droning with their calls.

interesting about the fruit flies. Perhaps I was wrong to use them as a staple instead of crickets?

Haze91

Reaction score
You can make your own substrate with organic topsoil (not potting soil), play sand, sphagnum moss, leaf litter, orchid bark and charcoal.

Good luck.
I've tried looking for organic topsoil everywhere with no luck. Lowe's, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Walmart, and local stores. None of them carry organic topsoil apparently.

Reaction score
I know also do you know if great stuff pond foam it's safe for notes I'm pretty sure it is and do you think I could make a floating island out of it

Haze91

Reaction score
I know also do you know if great stuff pond foam it's safe for notes I'm pretty sure it is and do you think I could make a floating island out of it
I haven't used it myself but I'm pretty certain its safe for amphibians. I've been watching this YouTube channel to help plan out my salamander tank upgrade. https://youtube.com/channel/UC4oEwBR-rvWxI66vwnHQM_Q
He seems to really know his stuff so it's a great resource.

MnGuy

Reaction score
I've tried looking for organic topsoil everywhere with no luck. Lowe's, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Walmart, and local stores. None of them carry organic topsoil apparently.

That’s weird, because I get all of my organic topsoil at Home Depot.

Haze91

Reaction score
Has anybody heard of the biodude I was wondering if his Terra Flora substrate is safer salamanders and if it works for bioactive if any body knows please tell me
It's been a while now since you asked the question, but I've been using the Terra Flora with my Eurycea longicauda for a couple months now and I haven't noticed any issues with it. Much better than the coco fiber/orchid bark mix I was using before as far as sticking on to the salamanders.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm using it with my spring peepers does it hold borrows well also are you using a false bottom and if you don't mind would you post a picture of the enclosure

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!