Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The latest remodelling of my tank

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I thought I haven't posted any pictures of my tank for a while, so here we are.

It is a four foot tank and it houses Lottie and her two babies. I'm not sure yet whether they are male or female, still keeping an eye on the cloacal region! They are 6 months old now and about 6 or 7 inches long at a guess, but at the moment both look like females!

I took a picture of the whole tank with the flash on and the left and right sides without the flash, so they may be a little dark.

The two blue lidded boxes under the tank are crickets for my African frogs and worms for the axies!

Attachments

• 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 097.jpg
    097.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 213

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Thanks, I made the background and I was quite pleased with the effect.

The only stones I have in my tank is a large pebble which I brought back from the beach, I boiled it to sterilise it and remove the saltiness.

I'm not sure what stones can be used in the tank, but smooth stones with no rough edges are obviously best for axolotls.

There was a thread somewhere about different types of stones and how to clean them, perhaps you could do a search and see what you come up with.

gary1621

Reaction score
Hehehe, I love the back ground too :D Very creative

What did you use to make it?

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
That looks really good! I have tried to make backgrounds too and always end up just buying one because I don't like it.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive comments.

The background I just painted a large piece of paper with a colourwash of blue and green waterpaints, then cut out loads of wavy weed shapes from coloured paper and stuck them on. Nothing very technical!
The only downside is - I have to be careful it doesn't get wet!

gary1621

Reaction score
Yeah, thats what i was thinking, would be a right pain if it got wet :(

Hmmm

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Could you kind of laminate it or use the clear plastic book wrap to protect it??:confused:

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh wow, Kerry!

That background looks great - brilliant idea!

And of course, beautiful axolotls goes without saying ;).

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Rayson - I was thinking of laminating it, or similar, but to be honest it doesn't really get that wet, only a couple of drips now and then!

Vidofner - The containers are crickets for the frogs I keep and worms for the axies!

Thanks Jacq and 2os4sds for lovely comments :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1